Stack Vent To Appliance Vent Clearance

dtontarski

That plumbing stack should be connected to the chimney with a wye. That way, the methane gas can help with combustion, like an afterburner, and burn a hole in those tree branches for safety. [:)]

Sorry, I don't know the regulation, but I think 3 feet seems reasonable.

I would call for that chimney to be inspected and most likely replaced with a new unit, and for those limbs to be cut back.

That B-vent shouldn't be run up the outside of the building like that.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I assume you meant plumbing vent, not B vent. That said, the IRC (2003) doesn't say that the vent must go through the roof, just that it must terminate above the roof. I don't have a newer versions of the IRC, I'm still using the copy Brian Goodman gave me - it just showed up in the mail one day.

NY says that it must go through the roof.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I assume you meant plumbing vent, not B vent. That said, the IRC (2003) doesn't say that the vent must go through the roof, just that it must terminate above the roof. I don't have a newer versions of the IRC, I'm still using the copy Brian Goodman gave me - it just showed up in the mail one day.

I see vents like that when someone--typically--moves a kitchen sink and there's no longer access to the original vent stack. It's legal here. What a pain in the rear, having to rip out drywall or plaster in NY to relocate a vent.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Enlarge the photo and look closely, that metal vent goes right up the side of the building and through the roof overhang behind that plastic vent stack. The lack of soot and the rust indicate that it's a gas vent.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Enlarge the photo and look closely, that metal vent goes right up the side of the building and through the roof overhang behind that plastic vent stack. The lack of soot and the rust indicate that it's a gas vent.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Oh Yeah, I see that now. Never mind.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'm sure it will come as no surprise that that flue-pipe configuration is perfectly legal here in back-ass-ward Kentucky.