counter top mitre cut wrong?

The cabinets are level and even both ways. When the tips of the counter top touch evenly at the ends, there's a significant gap in the middle section. When I move one piece back far enough so the backsplashes do not intersect, the gap lines up perfectly.

Again, cabinets and tops are level. I'm not even playing with the wall intersection yet. To get the gaps closed at the mitre, I have to lift the ends of the tops way up making them slope away from each other.

I'm trying to figure out which one or if both of these pieces are off and trying to decide how to procede.

Should I return them both or attempt fixing the issue myself somehow?

front end lined up

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011415155339_P1130391.jpg

61.47 KB

backend lined up

Click to Enlarge
tn_201141515542_P1130392.jpg

53.31 KB

gap shown with ends lined up

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011415155420_P1130393.jpg

51.34 KB

offset backsplash and the gap closes

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011415155440_P1130394.jpg

53.12 KB

difference at backsplash top corners with seam tight along length of tops

Click to Enlarge
tn_201141515553_P1130400.jpg

38.74 KB

Pre-mitered post-formed countertops used to line up pretty well for me. But they'd always be at exactly 90 degrees when the walls I was working with never were at 90 degrees, so I'd usually end up cutting new miters myself.

If your walls are at 90 degrees, send back those countertops; they're screwed up. If your walls aren't at 90 degrees, build a jig & cut new miters yourself.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What they said. Take it back. It looks like Ray Charles cut it.

The only way you're going to get it right is with a belt sander and I doubt you want to take that challenge if you haven't done it before.

Did they bother to rout out the bottom for dog bone bolts to suck it together?

It's either or both of two things:

1) The backsplash plumb cuts on the CT are not at a perfect right angle to the surface of the CT.

2) One or both of your cabinet rows on either side of that inside wall corner is rising slightly, causing the backsplash plumb cuts to meet at the top instead of evenly.

Try shimming both CT pieces in unison at the point where they meet to elevate the seam a little. You may have to add shims at points further from the seam to restore support to the fields of the two CT halves.

John, when you are able to match prefabed countertops like that perfectly, you are carpenter extraordinaire! I can't do it.

Marc

This thing solved the problem. The local shop sliced the mitres and cut each end to my specified length for a total of $25.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011415182010_Photo081.jpg

17.78 KB

They are just sitting in place in these pictures without even being bolted yet. Tight like they should be.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011415182118_P1130402.jpg

50 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011415182134_P1130403.jpg

36.22 KB

On to the next task.....

John, when you are able to match prefabed countertops like that perfectly, you are carpenter extraordinaire! I can't do it.

Not really, Mark. That was a mess. It's the same as anything else. Do enough of it and you learn the tricks.

John,

If you can get your hands on a biscuit / plate joiner, carefully cut slots in to the ends between the DB slots, do not glue them in and snug the dog bones. Don't over tighten them.

Not really, Mark. That was a mess. It's the same as anything else. Do enough of it and you learn the tricks.

John,

If you can get your hands on a biscuit / plate joiner, carefully cut slots in to the ends between the DB slots, do not glue them in and snug the dog bones. Don't over tighten them.

Thanks for the tips. I'm taking it nice and easy to minimize screw ups. I'm putting together under cabinet duct work now. These new cabinets against the opposite wall occupied a space where the original register is.