Creative shade

My house has zero afternoon shade in the backyard. I built a pretty nice deck a few years ago, and the wife would like to be able to use it in the afternoons after work. But summers here are flat out unbearable in the sun.

I do have one of the yard umbrellas, but I'm trying to think "bigger". I had also considered a awning, but can't really afford a nice one, and refuse to buy a cheap one.

So I'm just trying to get some suggestions for creative (not breaking the bank) ideas on how to get this done.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114188326_DSCN4828.jpg

55.35 KB

Charles, while at Sams club the other day I saw that massive offset umbrella they have. Unfortunately, the reviews I read online are less than enthusiastic. It appears they plastic just get s brittle after a year in the sun. However Ikea does have one for only 80 bucks. A man could almost justify one a year at that price.

Really, I was hoping for something more storm proof

I researched this for a moneyed client a few years back. There are not any options for cheap affordable awnings or shades.

The stuff I found that was reasonably priced was all cheap vinyl crap without adequate UV inhibitors; they all go to shards in a year or two.

Weather and UV resistant fabrics are freaky expensive.

Speaking of a pergola. If you "did" attach the ledger to the brick, with say 2x8 material (roughly 10 ft span from the house), think I'll crack the veneer over time? I suppose I could try to get the wall studs, but that won't be easy as a rim joint on a deck.

Why not build a free standing pergola, simple design with poles and rafters. Plant with deciduous vines, this provides shade in winter and sun in cooler months.

That's the best idea. Awnings start out looking like Grandma and Grandpa's house, then go downhill.

You could try EZ Ups. http://www.ezup.com/products/pro/eclipse2.shtml

I bought a 10' x 10' for showing my work at art shows and use it extensively at my girl's softball games. They are not kidding when they say EZ. It's sets up and takes down in minutes. You have to weigh down the legs if it's windy but I'm real happy with it for $250. You can get them in different sizes.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011418142430_Booth%20Shot%20zapp_Vga.jpg

50.42 KB

Shadesails looks like a cool idea.

Ben,

Below is a picture of a pergola I built last year. Pacific Coast precast structural columns and hand cut cypress timbers with a Lexan roof. Turned out pretty well.

If I can find a picture of an attached cypress pergola I will do so.

A place to go for ideas is Finehouse Ltd. You might get lucky and get some ideas here.

Charles

Click to Enlarge
tn_201142281431_Picture%20149.jpg

67.5 KB

Ben,

I promised i would post a picture of a cypress pergola built a couple of years ago, Money was no object with this client. Hand laid stone. Cypress timbers were all hand distressed. Once done we were/are quite proud the way this turned out.

I think the pergola idea is just what you are looking for and easily adaptable to most situations and circumstances.

BTW the offset umbrella we have is made by Southern Patio (Southern Butterfly Offset Umbrella). Mostly powder coated metal parts with minimal plastic components. Canvas cover. Ive had mine for three years now and is still in good shape.

Charles

Click to Enlarge
201142364835_Cypress%20Pergola.png

3719.64 KB

I do not recall to memory the exact nature of connection to main house. I know that we used Simpson Architectural connectors at main beam connections and to footers. I seem to recall the attachment to the rear lanai was through bolted to the existing header.

Charles