New Project

The bucket has 1 1/2 yard capacity.

The job is union. In Newark, the unions have agreed to send out residents of Newark first if available and qualified for whatever task they are asked to perform.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011546128_newark%20002.jpg

73.88 KB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bucket has 1 1/2 yard capacity.

The job is union. In Newark, the unions have agreed to send out residents of Newark first if available and qualified for whatever task they are asked to perform.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011546128_newark%20002.jpg

73.88 KB

Huh,

Things were different in Newark about 45 years ago when my father built the AO Smith Harvestors that are on the roof of the Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery. He showed up on the appointed day to begin the job and a bunch of union thugs met him and told him that he was hiring them or he wasn't putting up any structures. None of them knew how to erect one of those structures and he didn't have the time or money to teach them. Long story short, for the couple of weeks it took to erect those structures that "crew" got paid to play cards on the bed of a pickup truck or toss a football back and forth while our crew did all of the work.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

This weeks pictures:

Click to Enlarge
tn_20115619216_Newark%20002.jpg

93.96 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20115619244_Newark%20008.jpg

65.17 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011561938_Newark%20009.jpg

67.76 KB

We hopefully will be done with footings and retaining wall by the end of next week. Blockwork should start this coming week if we ever get to backfill (wet material). I've had to push the underground plumbing back (again) because of lack of backfilling.

Here's my favorite picture of the week. It took me much too long to get this up!

Click to Enlarge
tn_20115619532_Newark%20010.jpg

46.47 KB

Kurt,

There is a soils engineering firm on site during the footings installation. They check bottom of footings for bearing (remember, we over-excavated almost the entire site due to previous fill) and they will be overseeing compaction.

Usually a 'proctor' is taken to determine the soil content and moisture but in our case, there's just so much clay a proctor is useless.

We stated off trying 12 inch lifts but it was pumping so bad we had to stop. My complaint was the use of a sheep's foot roller; the fact that the imprints would hold water after it rained and we'd never get another layer on top (but that's what the engineering firm wants).

Most of this coming week is gonna be sunny and warm; we gotta get backfilled soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After a rough month (we actually lost an entire week due to rain), we are out of the ground!

Click to Enlarge
tn_201161520285_6-15%20009.jpg

82.32 KB

This photo was taken last Wednesday from the 3rd floor of a house across the street.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201161520293_6-15%20039.jpg

73.34 KB

This was taken today from the same house.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011615202951_6-15%20044.jpg

51.27 KB

Here's the end of the day today.

• 3 weeks later...

Marc;

Here's another video I shot the day before the topping out. This may explain the non use of spreader beams.

We have about 2 weeks left of bolting up, setting the stairs, nelson studs etc before we pour the decks. Then all hell breaks loose!

Darren,

Hope you are enjoying dealing with the Newark Building Department.

Frame looks good. Now comes the fun part.

Be careful out there. They are killing people at record pace in the City of Newark. I hope you have good site security!

Stay cool and safe!

Steve

Monday night, 3 people were killed and 12 others wounded in 'gunfights'; several weeks ago my night guards reported gun shots at the site 2 nights in a row.

The building department is a classic; although my inspector Larry has been alright to me.

Marc-Next week I'll upload another video; we have to use a lifting beam to set the gym trusses. They came to the site in 50 foot lengths and we have to splice them to together (a 100 ft span).

Well, we poured the 4th floor today.

here's some clips of the pour- My concrete tester:

The crew when they first started the pour-

And finally the finishing-

Next week I'll get some Carlisle roofing shots and some of my least favorite - fireproofing spray.