It only took 4 1/2 months.....

To get my first threating phone call of the year. Did a flip a few days ago, that was simply a polished turd. Older house, with trusses, someone decided years ago they wanted a set of attic steps. Of course they hacked up a truss to get in it, knocked out the webbing, cut the bottom chord, etc...

Called it what it was, a hack job that needed to be an engineered fix, buyers didn't want the house after the inspection (not just the screwed up truss) and I get a call from the "Flipper" saying I scared these poor kids to death, I cost him the sale of a house, and "he knows all kinds of people in the Real Estate Business and he'd make sure I NEVER get another referral in this town again."

The really bad part of the situation is the buyer was a wounded solider from the war, he was told by the flipper the house had all new plumbing, electrical, insulation ,etc... The only thing new was the plugs, switches, plate covers, and a few p-traps. So sad you would lie to the face of a man who just got back from a war, that allows you to peddle your shit houses to naive people.

Good to know I'm finished I suppose, I guess I'll go dig ditches...[:-cry]

Like I told you earlier, people simply like to bitch, get it off their chests, and walk around thinking you give a rat's ass. Always be polite and let them say what they want to, and after it happens a couple more times, you'll find that you'll have forgotten about the conversation five minutes after it occurred.

In your OP, you committed an error that for absolutely no reason is a pet peeve of mine. So I'm gonna bitch a little now, too, with nothing but kindness. The seller didn't replace the plugs. He replaced the outlets. The plug is the thing you stick IN the outlet. Electricians make this same error when they label panels, but that doesn't make it right.

Your pal,

Me

Like I told you earlier, people simply like to bitch, get it off their chests, and walk around thinking you give a rat's ass. Always be polite and let them say what they want to, and after it happens a couple more times, you'll find that you'll have forgotten about the conversation five minutes after it occurred.

In your OP, you committed an error that for absolutely no reason is a pet peeve of mine. So I'm gonna bitch a little now, too, with nothing but kindness. The seller didn't replace the plugs. He replaced the outlets. The plug is the thing you stick IN the outlet. Electricians make this same error when they label panels, but that doesn't make it right.

Your pal,

Me

The first paragraph was insightful, and educational. The second was more of a blah, blah, blah. [:-dev3]

Receptacles, not outlets. Outlet consist of the box and incoming cable.

Marc

Please see definition #4 from Merriam-Webster:

Definition of OUTLET

1a : a place or opening through which something is let out : exit, vent b : a means of release or satisfaction for an emotion or impulse c : a medium of expression or publication d : a publication or broadcast organization

2: a stream flowing out of a lake or pond

3a : a market for a commodity b : an agency (as a store) through which a product is marketed

4: a receptacle for the plug of an electrical device

Definition of OUTLET

I think a better reference would be the IRC:

Outlet: a point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

Utilization equipment: equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating, lighting or similar purpose.

So a light is an outlet, for example.

Receptacle: a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug.

Definition of OUTLET

I think a better reference would be the IRC:

Outlet: a point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

Utilization equipment: equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating, lighting or similar purpose.

So a light is an outlet, for example.

Receptacle: a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug.

That's exactly where I ended up about a month ago, while rewriting my report - a work still in progress. I purged my report of the word outlet, which I found to lend itself to too many possibilites, and replaced it with receptacle. I suppose it's splitting hairs, and both work in most folk's minds, but it seems that receptacle is more accurate.

Survey says...

I'm with Kurt, are we really debating IF "outlet" is acceptable description? I'm sure it could be a regional thing, but I'm fairly certain that 99.9% of the people will know exactly what a outlet refers to under the electrical section of a report. Kinda hard to misconstrued it when it's accompanied by a picture of the 120v receptacle with a big fat red arrow pointed directly at it.

I almost exclusively use 'receptacle' in reports but I might also use 'outlet' from time to time.

Don't bother writing reports for your fellow home inspectors. They'll never pay your fee. Write your reports for your clients. As long as they understand exactly what you mean, you'll be just fine.

This place is a wonderful receptacle -I mean outlet- for my thoughts.

Hey, either word works well there.

Jimmy