Goofy hot water feed

Jerry Simon

I actually don't think I'm the first to ask about this. Regardless:

Down in a crawl space, someone tapped a saddle-valve into a copper hot water supply pipe, ran a 1/4" flex copper line off the valve, ran the end of the copper line into a 1/4" pvc water pipe, and tied the end of the pvc pipe directly into the main sanitary sewer line, right where the pvc sewer line went down into the crawl space soil floor. FYI. . .house was served by the municipal sanitary sewer system.

Why would someone want to run hot water into the sewer? Thanks much for any insight.

The owner of the house thought he was hot shit. But really, the way you describe it the hot water would be running 24/7/365. Does not make any sense. Sometimes people pipe hot water to the toilets to eliminate sweating in the humid summer months. But never would guess that one would have a continuous flow of HW into the sewer.

Down in a crawl space, someone tapped a saddle-valve into a copper hot water supply pipe, ran a 1/4" flex copper line off the valve, ran the end of the copper line into a 1/4" pvc water pipe, and tied the end of the pvc pipe directly into the main sanitary sewer line, right where the pvc sewer line went down into the crawl space soil floor. FYI. . .house was served by the municipal sanitary sewer system.

Why would someone want to run hot water into the sewer? Thanks much for any insight.

Maybe it was an ill-conceived attempt to prevent the waste line from freezing.

Was the saddle open?

No.

Was wondering; would periodically running hot water into a sewer discourage tree roots from busting into the pipes seeking water in drought conditions? There was a huge tree above the line (and I did recommend scoping), but can't see how/if they might be related. For me, it's a head-scratcher.

I swear someone else saw this set-up once and asked about it here. . .

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe it was an ill-conceived attempt to prevent the waste line from freezing.

What he said!