Guys, I need some advice.

Last year, I left a very good paying job to build spec houses. I should say that the job was very demanding of my time and I had no time to enjoy its fruits or my family and it was very stressful.

Building homes can, potentially, be financially rewarding. However, right now it is very risky for me and has no predictable cash flow.

Recently, I have become licensed to conduct home inspections in my state, NC to help with the cash flow. Unfortunately, I have never conducted a home inspection for anyone other than myself and I would feel uncomfortable promoting myself as an inspector.

Long way to my question... How do you get the needed experience to feel comfortable in charging someone for your services?

There are some who believe that just because they hold the license it means that they are a home inspector. I just can't do that. How would you recommend that I go about getting the experience that I feel is needed to go along with my license?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your help.

To Whom it may concern: Did you take any classes or training to do inspections? Are you involved in the building practice or a contractor? All these things make a difference. I am in Mich, so can't help you much other than to be a gadfly. Inspecting houses is a VERY complex job and I admire your concern regarding your capability to do so. There are lots of guys from carolina on this board and they will give you some sage advice. There is a crazy Texan on this board that reminds all of us: "A man has to know his limitations".

Yeah, kind of a broad question. I do respect your acknowledgement of your limitations.

It's actually pretty simple. Learn everything there is no know; that takes about 30 years. Then, spend the rest of your life trying to get it right.

(OK, I'm being a smartass.)[:-eyebrow

Zatol,

Knowing how to conduct an inspection is only part of the process; explaining the systems, problems and repairs needed in a simple to read format is another part of the puzzle. Here are several suggestions:

1)Find an inspector to do ride alongs with. Be prepared to travel (some guys don't want to teach their future competition) and pay for the education.

2) Check out different report writing systems to see what you like & your comfortable with.

3) Check out several other inspectors websites for 'sample' reports, you can get an idea of the different styles of reporting.

4) Don't become a 'friendly' inspector; yes, say good morning to realtors and sellers, but do not let anyone influence your inspections. Be true to your client.

Darren

www.aboutthehouseinspections.com

I am a licensed general contractor. Therefore, I qualified to bypass the associate's license and obtain the full license. I still would like to work for awhile with an experienced inspector. Its one of those deals where I believe that I am knowledgeable enough to do thorough inspections... but, I want to be able to "practice" under the watchful eye of a proven inspector..

Go to www.nchilb.com for qualifying information.

Originally posted by Zatol

. . . I should say that the job was very demanding of my time and I had no time to enjoy its fruits or my family and it was very stressful.

Building homes can, potentially, be financially rewarding. However, right now it is very risky for me and has no predictable cash flow.

Gosh whiz, those two paragraphs can be used to describe a career in home inspections as well as spec home building.

The pasture isn't always as green as it looks.

- Jim Katen, Oregon