Yet another bank beauty

I was contacted today by the agent representing my client stating that the loan officer from ***** Fargo wants me to make a statement, on letterhead, verifying that the utilities to the home I inspected were actually on when the inspection was performed. On letterhead, signed and dated. I explained to the realtor that the information was on the first or second page of the report, they(the bank) want more.

So I am emailing the loan officer to determine who is going to pay for my time to get this together for them. Sure as hell shouldn't be my client. Anyone have this one yet?

The same bunch wanted a latter about the cracks in the garage slab saying they where not a structure issue. In my report I had wrote they where common cracks seen in this area.

I wrote an letter and they called me 2 times wanting to know if I had even looked at the structure of the house.

Call them back and tell them if they want you to provide them documentation about your inspection findings that they'll need to get the Department of Licensing to eliminate the prohibition in the inspection law that prohibits you from sharing information from the report with anyone other than the client. They'll also need to get the law changed stating what documentation you are required to produce. Letters to banks are not included on that list. If he/she wants to be dink about it, refer 'em to Rhonda.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Or, just get your clients permission and send a letter. It's a sign of good will that will make everyone other than you happy, up until you get repeat business as a result. It's only gonna take a few minutes of your time, and will directly help your client out.

The only time I can think of that I didn't cooperate was whenI had a lender send me this huge document/ checklist after I finally signed off on my re- inspection from hell house (plenty of posts on that one here). They were questioning me as to whether I finally just gave up and signed off on everything. Irritated me so much that I told them off, refused to fill out any of their paperwork, and let them know that perhaps they should go inspect everything since they knew so much.

Whew, needed to get that one off my chest.

And here was my response from this lender after I e-mailed and asked who I should invoice for my time.

"I will look at the home inspection report itself (will need from xxxx) to see if I can use it (we don't like getting the full report because if you pointed out anything, we will require that it be fixed and we don't want to present any add'l repair possibilities to underwriting). This is the first time I've had a home inspector want to charge to provide a letter to document something they already have documented (we just need it in a separate document from the inspection report). Let's see if I can use what you have already provided without raising other concerns. You are correct...this isn't something the buyers should pay for (they've already paid for the home inspection).

xxxx - can you get the report to me so I can review...thanks!"

And my response, it's so exciting;)

" Just to be clear. I have already documented the utilities for my clients, but you want a separate document stating what I have already stated. My clients, the Weatherby family, paid for and received a home inspection. Washington State law states that my report findings are solely for the use of my clients and in order for me or their real estate agent to share them with anyone else, requires their approval. If the banks are going to start requiring separate documents such as this, then they should be responsible for paying for the the time it takes the inspector to complete the document. Or better yet, make up a form you would like us to verify and hand them out to all of your clients so it can be handled at the same time as the inspection. 10 years in this business and this is the first request for this type of statement."

I do the letters when requested - not a big deal. It takes longer to argue with them and agruing does nothing to help my client buy their house. If they want me to go back out to the house to check on a repair, then I send a bill along with the letter.

I did a letter like that just the other day for the same lender, it was on an FHA loan. Seems like this might be a new requirement from their underwriting. Not a big deal, it took all of five minutes to type and email. Most of all it helped my clients with their loan. I look at it as just part of giving good customer service to my client

Every FHA I do, except Repair Inspections, requires that I confirm that the utilities are connected and available. That's 'part and parcel' of this type of inspection. It's spelled out in the HUD 92051 Compliance Report which has my signature.

As regards a home inspection though, I'm with Mike O. No special documentation. Just mention in the HI report what's on and what's not. In Louisiana, we're required to sign each HI report. That should be adequate for these uptight lenders.

Marc

.............As regards a home inspection though, I'm with Mike O. No special documentation. Just mention in the HI report what's on and what's not. In Louisiana, we're required to sign each HI report. That should be adequate for these uptight lenders.

Marc

I agree that it should be adequate for the "uptight lenders"........but, they are in the driver's seat of the money truck.........your taking umbrage with the bank is just one more issue/hassle your client doesn't need to deal with. Self employed for the past 16 years, my business has thrived because I've ALWAYS gone the extra mile when it comes to customer service.

.............As regards a home inspection though, I'm with Mike O. No special documentation. Just mention in the HI report what's on and what's not. In Louisiana, we're required to sign each HI report. That should be adequate for these uptight lenders.

Marc

I agree that it should be adequate for the "uptight lenders"........but, they are in the driver's seat of the money truck.........your taking umbrage with the bank is just one more issue/hassle your client doesn't need to deal with. Self employed for the past 16 years, my business has thrived because I've ALWAYS gone the extra mile when it comes to customer service.

I don't see it as taking 'umbrage' with the bank. It's them that's taking 'umbrage' with me.

And that's their money truck, not mine. I drive my own.

Marc

I advise my clients to NEVER share my report with the banks. I learned long ago that lenders don't know what to do with a real inspection report that has anything other than a check box. Don't muddy the waters by providing something they cannot comprehend. Critical thinking requires a brain; something we know that neither lenders nor congress possess.[:-crazy]