Steam Boiler

Neal Lewis

The 2 steam mains are directly aligned with the 2 risers from the boiler. A proper manifold configuration has the mains connected to the manifold between the risers and the equalizer. Also, swing joints need to be installed to offset the manifold from the risers.

The installation in your picture will result in the pressure in the header (supply side) and the return side of the boiler not being equal. Water won't stay in the boiler.

Peerless boiler?

Copper should never be used for steam boiler piping, especially the header/manifold.

The first thing that is going to happen is, without any swing joints in place, something you can't have with soldered Copper pipe, the thermal expansion, which is more significant with Copper than Iron, is going to cause that horizontal pipe to pry apart the sections of the heat exchanger, causing a leak.

Kinda like this one.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201168191828_DSCN0681.jpg

51.58 KB

That boiler look familiar?

Then the Galvanic corrosion from the Copper and Cast Iron in the presence of water & O2 is going to rot the heat exchanger in about half the time is should live.

I had told this guy ten years before he better get someone to change that piping. This one failed at the ripe young age of 18 years. Probably had a hole in it for a year before he called me.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20116819228_DSCN0684.jpg

30.32 KB

The one you have there was piped by a buffoon.

Kyle, I agree about the copper piping, but have given up reporting it. Almost every time I've reported it (hundreds), the installer calls me and states that it's not required by code. Only a couple manufacturers mention it in their installation instructions, but when contacted, refuse to condemn the installation. In other words, they always side with the installer rather than stand behind their own published document.