Uh Oh...That's the Eastern Pacific Rim six-legged beetle. It only attacks recently renovated kitchens where the homeowner agonized over structural and decorative decisions. The beetle senses the stress and homes in on the location.

You're screwed.

[:o]

Actually, since you mention the recent project, she said they began to show up just prior to the renovation but now they are much worse.

Maybe one of these?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201166211311_powderpostbeetles.jpg

19.36 KB

I vote 'A', Lyctus planicollis LeConte...'One of the true powderpost beetles of the family Lyctidae' says Pest Control Operations, Bennett Corrigan Owens, 5th edition.

Marc

We have a powder post beetle here in the west that attacks old roughcut beams in damp old basements. I suspect the Eastern variety is larger. These ones we have leave tiny holes with powdered frass piles when they emerge.

Check the beams and flooring in your basement. Don't worry about you new kitchen. They will be in the old wood.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20116721937_PPBeetlewd2.jpg

40.56 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20116721958_PPBeetlewood.jpg

50.76 KB

A pest control guy went in and treated this floor with something, probably Borate. It only works on the emerging adults. The larvae can hang out in the tunnels for years before they become adults and venture out to lay eggs. On the optimistic side, maybe you've just got them in your firewood?

No,

We don't have powder post beetles in the west - we have death-watch beetles. Powder post beetles are lychtids, which is what he's got there, death-watch beetles are annobiidae - almost identical in size to the PPB, causes almost identical damage but is a completely different race of beetles.

It is true; they can mature inside the wood for years before they emerge, but both lychtids and annobiidae can be knocked back using a penetrating borate mixture such as BoraCare that soaks deep into the wood and literally poisons their food source. Well, not poison really - borates give them an impossible case of constipation and they are too brainless to know to stop eating so they continue to eat until they literally blow themselves apart. It requires about 3 - 4 treatments a season to get each clutch of eggs before they hatch and bore too deep.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I had some holes appear in SYP flooring, bought as #1 Common. My termite guy came all the way over to see and said not to worry, powder post beetle takes 2-10 yrs to emerge, and once you see the hole, they are gone. I guess my flooring was not kiln dried.

A friend built a cabin from sawmill beams log cabin style, and the same pest guy said it was the worst infestation he'd ever seen, but they did not treat it. That was almost twenty years ago, and the house is still sound.

I've recommended the replacement of the entire structural floor (basically a death sentence) of quite a few raised-floor old homes in my part of Louisiana because of damage done by PP beetles. They do much more damage than subterraneans because their presence is concealed until the exit holes appear, on the girders, joists, sub-floor and all. It's a silent epidemic here. Everyone treats preventively for subterraneans, it's required by law on new construction, but no one treats for PP until there's a problem, so the insects have prospered.

Marc

No,

We don't have powder post beetles in the west - we have death-watch beetles. Powder post beetles are lychtids, which is what he's got there, death-watch beetles are annobiidae - almost identical in size to the PPB, causes almost identical damage but is a completely different race of beetles.

It is true; they can mature inside the wood for years before they emerge, but both lychtids and annobiidae can be knocked back using a penetrating borate mixture such as BoraCare that soaks deep into the wood and literally poisons their food source. Well, not poison really - borates give them an impossible case of constipation and they are too brainless to know to stop eating so they continue to eat until they literally blow themselves apart. It requires about 3 - 4 treatments a season to get each clutch of eggs before they hatch and bore too deep.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks, Mike. It sounds like the term is mis-used by people here then, such as this pest control company.

http://www.pestvictoria.com/insects-and ... eetles.htm

I agree the beetles we have are a different bunch, but I probably should start calling them by their real names, or just 'wood-boring beetles".

Death by BoraCare sounds like it would be painful but only for a minute or two leading up to the big bang. [:)]

I found the source. I built a workbench from rough cut oak 15+ years ago. It's on an enclosed attached porch just off of the kitchen. After emerging from the workbench legs, the beetles are traveling through the porch rafters and into the house attic where they drop down the walls and through the gaps behind the cabinets.

They're just now coming out of the legs. You mean they can lay dormant that long?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201167211710_P1140411.jpg

82.45 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201167211632_P1140409.jpg

53.99 KB