It's So Hot

The heat indices--the new favorite word of the local weather dude who supplements NPR--around here have been in the low hundreds (If we trust the weather dude's figgers). The instant I walk outside, my glasses fog up. I took a ton of shit photos the past few days 'cause the camera lens gets foggy, too.

But . . . it beats what we have in January when it seems like the short, gray, freezing days will never end.

Just curious. When I do my next vacant house in the desert and the interior of the building is well over 100, what trick would be the best for checking the operation of the gas furnace? I don't think a thermostat will set above 90. Possibly the the "canned air" sold to clean keyboards and computers? Maybe a good long blast of canned air would lower the thermostat to get furnace ignition for verification?

Some of these vacant homes are so hot that the walls, floors and ceilings will radiate heat for many hours.

Just curious. When I do my next vacant house in the desert and the interior of the building is well over 100, what trick would be the best for checking the operation of the gas furnace? I don't think a thermostat will set above 90. Possibly the the "canned air" sold to clean keyboards and computers? Maybe a good long blast of canned air would lower the thermostat to get furnace ignition for verification?

Some of these vacant homes are so hot that the walls, floors and ceilings will radiate heat for many hours.

The canned air might work. However, you can usually jump start the furnace directly from the control board. I know it's not for everyone, but it can be a very useful trick.

By the way, I can sympathize with you guys across the rest of the country. The high temperature in Portland today was 68 degrees and I almost perspired a few times.

When the temperature inside a house is above the highest set point of the thermostat, I either jump start the furnace a la Katen, or more often, I take something out of the owner's freezer and ask the broker to hold it directly on top of the thermostat. If you know you are going to a vacant house, maybe you could bring one of those reusable freezer pack things in a cooler.

I'm a week late to this one, but summer hasn't really hit us in the northwest. It sucks.

Today is forecast to be about 65 deg.

Yesterday morning, my furnace kicked on. I had the t-stat set at 58 thinking that would be fine for the summer.

I'm appreciative of the cool weather especially in the attics, but this is almost unbearable!

Yeah,

Randy is on the money. My brother drove out to Boise last week to pick up a spare set of wings for one of his planes and he decided to drive the rest of the way to Seattle and spend some time poking around the area with his grandson to see the sights. Days were decent - in the high 60's to low 70's and sunny or partly cloudy most days he was here but at night the temps dropped way down and they were complaining about how friggin' cold it was. He left here Sunday morning and called that night from Bozeman where he said it was over 100 degrees.

The sky is kind of dirty bathtub white today - no clouds, just constant cloud cover that really doesn't look like clouds so much as it looks like a dirty sky. I'm sitting here typing this in the ground floor office on the west side of the building which won't get warmer until the afternoon sun is coming from the west above that cover and it's cool enough inside that I'm just a little bit chilly. It's 9:30 and the dew is still on the grass and there's dew clinging to leaves and fir needles in the trees outside my window that hasn't evaporated yet.

Weird the way the high center of the country is hotter than the south and east coast. Maybe that caldera is heating up in Yellowstone and we're getting ready for the big blow they've been predicting for so many years.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'm also a tad late but that's because I was was on vacation last week, basting in my own juices in Gettysburg, DC and Hershey. Driving home through Chambersburg, PA on Saturday afternoon the thermometer in the car said 103. It didn't dip below 90 until we got as far North as Warren, and we got there at dusk.