lick em stick em issues

John Dirks Jr

I found the following in the 06 IRC mentioning weep screeds. They have it in the "plaster" section but that really means stucco I think. Therefore, it also applies to stone veneer as well, correct?

R703.6.2.1 Weep screeds.

A minimum 0.019-inch (0.5 mm) (No. 26 galvanized sheet gage), corrosion-resistant weep screed or plastic weep screed, with a minimum vertical attachment flange of 3½ inches (89 mm) shall be provided at or below the foundation plate line on exterior stud walls in accordance with ASTM C 926. The weep screed shall be placed a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) above the earth or 2 inches (51 mm) above paved areas and shall be of a type that will allow trapped water to drain to the exterior of the building. The weather-resistant barrier shall lap the attachment flange. The exterior lath shall cover and terminate on the attachment flange of the weep screed.

John

You basically have two types of plaster, gypsum and cement. Cement plaster is stucco.

The Uniform Building Code required weeps back in their 1970 edition predating the requirements of both ASTM C1063 and C926, 1986 and 1981 respectively.

If you are inspecting stucco I'd advised you to get both ASTM standards.

I think Mike has the Masonry Veneer Manufacturers Association manual to the library, if not, go to their site and download.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif UBC_weep_screed.pdf

123.97 KB

John

You basically have two types of plaster, gypsum and cement. Cement plaster is stucco.

The Uniform Building Code required weeps back in their 1970 edition predating the requirements of both ASTM C1063 and C926, 1986 and 1981 respectively.

If you are inspecting stucco I'd advised you to get both ASTM standards.

I think Mike has the Masonry Veneer Manufacturers Association manual to the library, if not, go to their site and download.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif UBC_weep_screed.pdf

123.97 KB

Exterior stone veneer is the subject. I'm applying exterior cement stucco guidlines to it.

I found the following in the 06 IRC mentioning weep screeds. They have it in the "plaster" section but that really means stucco I think. Therefore, it also applies to stone veneer as well, correct?

I would think not. Perhaps use the Cast Stone Institute Tech Manual for stone veneer.

Marc