receptacle tester

John Dirks Jr

Now that I think about it, I can't actually recall the last time I bought any of them, but I'm sure that I've been using the same yellow GB tester for the last 3 or 4 years...at least. I carry a couple of spares but, amazingly, I haven't lost one in a long time. Never had a problem with prongs "sinking into the case" on any brand tester over the years, including the decades before HI. So, John, I hate to ask, but could it it be poor "marksmanship" inserting your tool? Have you had your eyes checked recently? ;)

Now that I think about it, I can't actually recall the last time I bought any of them, but I'm sure that I've been using the same yellow GB tester for the last 3 or 4 years...at least. I carry a couple of spares but, amazingly, I haven't lost one in a long time. Never had a problem with prongs "sinking into the case" on any brand tester over the years, including the decades before HI. So, John, I hate to ask, but could it it be poor "marksmanship" inserting your tool? Have you had your eyes checked recently? ;)

I might be a little hyper.

John,

Get a 1' extension cable and leave your tester plugged into that. That will reduce the wear and tear.

Anatol

Hmmm, that probably help for getting into the recessed floor receptacles too.

The one I had with a loose prong totally crapped on me today. Luckily on the last receptacle of the inspection.

I found the ones with the round ground post fit tighter into the receps. I like the ones with the d shaped ground prong as they fit easier and go along with my hyper active frenzies better.

It all seems to be based on need. I'm a bit sanguine so I loose a few of those things now and then. Most of the housing I inspect is newer so bootlegs are less of a concern. When the older stock moves, like recently, its still a no brainer. Two prong gets replaced with three but the ground lug has nothing attached. KISS

I keep one or two in the bag without a ground blade. I still want to know the two slot outlets function.

I typically have a half dozen or so in the bag and more in the car. I'll load up all the outlets in the kitchen or baths at once and then test the GFCI function. Much quicker process. That's also why I wind up loosing a few. If things don't add up I whip out a multimeter and crunch the info.

I do believe I'll steal the 12" whip idea for the floor plugs.

Been using the same SureTest ST-1D since September of 1999. Bought Yung a new one six months ago but she refuses to use it until the old one is toast.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

What's the cheapest I could get one of those and where? Does it really pick up bootleg grounds?

I bought it off of ebay. Brand new, never used. Turns out the seller is a friend and they'd posted the wrong price so I literally stole it. I offered to toss the deal but he was good natured about it and said it was better that I get it than it continue to sit in the closet.

Since then, I occasionally go up on Ebay and have followed several older ones. They've gone pretty cheap.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found a standard 3 prong GFI unit I like. The lights are bright and well separated so the light bleed through from adjacent lights wont be a problem. The GFI test button takes a significant effort to push and activate so accidental trips should be eliminated. The smooth body feels comfortable in hand.

Gardner Bender GFI-3501

Click to Enlarge
tn_201187153749_P1160496.jpg

28.19 KB

• 3 months later...

Kind of old thread but I went to an electrical supply house and got the three-light tester from Ideal.

Can't tell you the model no. but it's recognizably heavier and thicker than the ordinary hardware store tester.

Buttons and lights are running strong--2-3 years old by now at least.

Randy - Upgrade available ... depending upon your model.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif suretest_upgrade_program.pdf

66.08 KB