Disoriented strand board

John Kogel

What happens when you use OSB scraps to finish the job, and you lay a peice up oriented vertically instead of horizontally? You get a dip in the roof, that you have to go back to and fix, somehow. They saved about $10 on a 1/4 sheet of OSB. Tsk, tsk.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201173122850_roofOSB2.jpg

64.75 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201173122925_roofdip.jpg

52.05 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011731221112_roofOSBdip.jpg

56.66 KB

I could be wrong but..... I doubt it's so much the orientation as it is the lack of support by a min. 3 supporting members.

Well I think it is the orientation, so there. [:)]

The majority of the strands are laid up in one direction, and the sheets are stiffer in that direction. Same as plywood has more veneer laid the long way, so that is the only way to lay it up.

As far as a repair goes, I would just push the sheathing back into place and nail in some 2x4's run perpendicular to the trusses.

I suggested that may be possible, easy fix. But I also warned my client that the shingles may not lay flat when they're done, and that he should check for that.

Also, it is not technically correct to drive a bunch of nails into truss members, not that it would matter much.

I would agree with John

Well of course you do, you're both Canadians, eh.[:-monkeyd

A nation of woodcutters.

Serious question for you John.....

Is it really technically incorrect to install a few framing nails through a top chord of a truss? The APA website shows solid wood blocking as an option..blocking

Brandon, you are right about that. Blocking is OK.

I'll have to drive by that place and see how the repair turned out.

What happens when you use OSB scraps to finish the job

It's all scrap. They took the Idea from Armour. It's the Spam of Wood.

I'm thinkng more in the way of this is what happens when you use mulch and resin to build a house you expect to still be standing in a hundred years. It's junk. I don't care which way you run it.

What happens when you use OSB scraps to finish the job

It's all scrap. They took the Idea from Armour. It's the Spam of Wood.

I'm thinkng more in the way of this is what happens when you use mulch and resin to build a house you expect to still be standing in a hundred years. It's junk. I don't care which way you run it.

You using 1 X material for sheathing or is plywood OK?