30a 120v service

Jim Morrison

Correct. Four 30 amp fuses protecting 4 #14 gauge wires.

"Them fuses never blow, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I've never seen a 30 amp service. But the natural gas pipeline didn't reach us 'til the 90's, so we've always been heavy consumers of hydro electric. I imagine this place had gas for heat?

I found a 30A 120v service in late '09 in Baltimore City.

That is some scary old junk you found there, John.

Is there a fuse in that main disconnect, or is it just what it says, a switch?

If it is just a switch, the wire that leaves the fuse panel and feeds that transformer on the right is not protected by any fuse. It is tapped off the main service conductor. Good thing it stops there and doesn't go off into the wall somewhere.

They fried a fuse or two with the triple-tap on the left. Too much load for a 15 amp fuse. A 30 amp fuse was not the way to 'fix' that mess. [:-thumbd]

I found a 30A 120v service in late '09 in Baltimore City.

That is some scary old junk you found there, John.

Is there a fuse in that main disconnect, or is it just what it says, a switch?

If it is just a switch, the wire that leaves the fuse panel and feeds that transformer on the right is not protected by any fuse. It is tapped off the main service conductor. Good thing it stops there and doesn't go off into the wall somewhere.

They fried a fuse or two with the triple-tap on the left. Too much load for a 15 amp fuse. A 30 amp fuse was not the way to 'fix' that mess. [:-thumbd]

I didn't take the switch box apart so I don't know if it contained a fuse or not.