To vent or not to vent.

Robert Jones

This home has been remodeled and a new roof installed. The second floor is finished with vaulted ceilings. My question is, should there be some kind of venting at the ridge? There's no real cavity but, I am still thinking that some kind of venting should have been installed. The home was originally built in 1927. Opinions please.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201185223317_IMGP4671%20(Medium).jpg

68.12 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201185223335_IMGP4669%20(Medium).jpg

37.17 KB

Yes, I think it was a mistake not to install roof vents near the ridge or a ridge vent. It's not a simple uninsulated attic anymore, and the cedar shingles on strapping have been replaced with solid sheathing. A good roofer would have known it needs venting.

Did you find access to the cavity behind those kneewalls? I would look in there for insulation. Good places to find vermiculite, rat poop, live K&T, wasp nests and so on.

I'm not saying it is, but that could have been a Sears kit house, although I just searched a couple of websites and didn't find that particular design. I like those old houses, but the work is never done on them, it seems.