emergency gas shutoff

John Dirks Jr

These are in my area in some of the late 50's early 60's houses, including mine. The placard says do not turn back on if its been turned off.

Why is this the case? Is this intended for a one time emergency use? What would happen if this type of valve was used repeatedly as a regular shut off means?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011812222345_P1160574.jpg

33.8 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011812222425_P1160595.jpg

34.97 KB

The valve has been stationary (on) for a long time. Just as with water valves the concern is that once closed it will leak if opened. All gas company instructions for emergency shut-off, regardless of the valve type, instruct you to call the gas company to restore (turn-on) service after an emergency shut-off.

The valve has been stationary (on) for a long time. Just as with water valves the concern is that once closed it will leak if opened. All gas company instructions for emergency shut-off, regardless of the valve type, instruct you to call the gas company to restore (turn-on) service after an emergency shut-off.

So your saying the gas company should be called every time the meter cock is turned off? The placard says to use it instead of this other one. It doesnt say to call the gas company if the meter cock is used.

While I have never seen anything remotely like it, I suspect that the valve is there for the occupant to turn off gas in the event of an emergency. The caution against turning it back on is probably there to prevent someone who has no knowledge that there is a problem from turning it back on before repairs are made.

It's gas company cya. The meter cock doesn't have a handle for a reason. They don't want joe homeowner messing with it. Their reasoning is that most people can't even light their pilot light much less find a wrench to turn the gas cock on and off. If you put a handle on it, different story, better tell them, hence the label. When they restore service (gas company) they always check for leaks, and light pilots. Doesn't mean they don't want you to turn it off if you smell gas!