The Haunted House

Yesterday while talking with the buyers of a 5 yr old spec house, I had a very strange thing happen. We were all standing in the living room, about 10ft from the front door. There was a brief silence to the conversation, and we all hear the the deadbolt start to rattle. My first thought was "someone is about to open the door". A split second later the deadbolt locks its self.

We all look at each other with a "did I just see that happen" expression.

I walked to the window, but know one was at the door, or in the front yard. The deadbolt was completely locked. I flipped the lever and opened the door, turned back to the people and the guy made a joke like "F-this, this place is haunted, I'll pass." We all laughed, I gathered my tools, and split.

Have any of you guys had any strange, or unexplainable things happen during a inspection?

I have had a few unexplainable encounters over the years. The best was in a vacant home that was used as a hospital in the war of Northern aggression in Terry, MS. The home still had stained wood floors from blood, or so I was told.

No AC in the home, hot July day in Mississippi with the temps in the 90's. Going up the stairs the temp dropped like the AC was on, this only lasted for about three or four steps on the stairs. It only happened that day, the buyers said it had never happened before when they looked at the home. Yes it was spooky!

I was inspecting a house while no one else was there. Before I went into the crawlspace, I locked the front door because I didn't want anyone getting into the house when I was down there. I placed the key on the kitchen counter.

I was under the bathroom in a particularly tight spot when I heard the front door open and two people walked in. They were a man and a woman and they soon started arguing. Even though they were standing in the bathroom right over me, I couldn't make out what they were saying. I then heard the man hit the woman and I heard the woman fall and strike the bathtub. Things went silent. When I looked up at the floor sheathing above me, I saw a red liquid seep out from between the boards and drip onto the ground.

I high tailed it out of there, hopped up out of the hatch and ran into the bathroom where I found . . . nothing. The bathroom looked perfect.

I looked around the rest of the house but everything looked exactly as it had before I went into the crawlspace. I calmed down and told myself that I had to stop watching scary movies. That's when I noticed that the front door key was no longer on the kitchen counter but on a small table by the front door. When I picked up the key, it was stained with blood.

(Excerpted from my upcoming book, "Inspector Jim and the Mystery of the Ambidextrous Heiress" -- the latest in the "Inspector Jim" series.

Jim, maybe there was no stain on the floor, but did you check your pants? [:)]

I saw a ghost coming at me down the hall one time, that was a real bowel squeezer. It was a construction trailer with a smooth metal door at the end of the hall. There was one dim light behind me. The ghost was just as scared as I was. My own shadow!

Cool freaky story. You should contact the guys at "Ghost Adventures". Their website shows they did a lockdown in a slave house in KY recently.

I've got a great story about a time I was remodeling a old house in my home town. But it will rival a Mike post. Soon....

Cool freaky story. You should contact the guys at "Ghost Adventures". Their website shows they did a lockdown in a slave house in KY recently.

I've got a great story about a time I was remodeling a old house in my home town. But it will rival a Mike post. Soon....

Uh, really. Not necessary . . .

Uh, really. Not necessary . . .

Don't you have someone to make angry in a grocery store, or maybe the drug store?

I have had several spooky experiences inspecting alone. One time I was down in a basement, and clearly heard the front door open and someone walk in across the floor upstairs. I thought to myself, oh the buyers are here. After a little bit and with continued walking around upstairs I went upstairs to greet whoever and nobody was there.

Another time, I was in the garage standing near the garage passage way door which was immediately adjacent to the front door of the home. I heard the front door open and close, and the passage way door even shook a little, and I heard again someone walk across the floor going to the kitchen. After a few moments I went back into the house, and nobody was there.

Another time like Jim Katen, I had locked the front door and went into the attic, I heard people conversing approaching the house, they entered thru the front door and walked across the wood floor, I scrambled out of the attic, and no one was there.

I have heard some stories also from realtors about really strange experiences showing homes that were empty.

Chris, Oregon

Once you get past "explainable" occurrences you get to the real truth. There really are people living under the stairs. Being one who thinks "ghosts" exist, I have had a number of encounters over the years.

A number of years ago one of my ex-employees (he left to start his own company) was featured in a long article about poltergeists in a house he was called to inspect.

Wonder where the "certification class" is for the Ghost Hunter Certification?

You think you get an 8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper you can frame and hang on your office wall?

That paper is available only with the 'premium' version of the program. The regular version yields you only a handshake.

Marc

Wonder where the "certification class" is for the Ghost Hunter Certification?

You think you get an 8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper you can frame and hang on your office wall?

The certificate looks like a blank sheet of paper. Only the clairvoyants can read it.

Marc, stop haunting me.... [:)]

It is past your bedtime.

How about Grandpa still being in the house, in his favorite recliner in front of the TV, two years later.

Grandma said that was where he spent all his time, so that's where she left him (along with all his other hoarding stuff) when she moved out two years ago.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20118168528_Grandpainthehouse.jpg

39.19 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011816874_B066.jpg

65.09 KB