Combo Water heater - coil - elec heat

Mark P

I have never seen this before. This was in one side of a duplex, reportedly built in 1950. The unit was manufactured in 1989. On the bottom is a 40 gal electric water heater. On top of and incorporated into the water heater is the a/c coil and an electric furnace. The water heater was shot, so now they need to get a new coil and furnace as well.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201182194817_20110817_59.jpg

62.22 KB

Look at the water lines. They are just under the filter, not down in the white cabinet of thwe water heater. Also here is a picture of a portion of the label. Look at the right side it mentions both "Air Heater & Water Heater"

I see. Unless it's a hydro-air setup, it seems like a really stupid idea.

The buyer was not there so in the report I just explained that the water heater was leaking and need replaced which would also require the replacement of the a/c coil and electric furnace. The seller was at the inspection and he had replaced the equipment on the other side of the duplex a few years ago - so he was aware. He replaced it with seperate units.

I guess it was all about saving space, but yes it is really stupid.