Earthquake

I was in a house on the side of a hill. It shook pretty good for about 20 seconds. My first thought was that I missed a major problem with the foundation and I was gonna take a ride with the house down the hill. I then looked out the window and saw the water in the pond and pool rippling and realized what was happening. It's not supposed to happen in the middle of a tectonic plate! I didn't think anything would happen here after Pangaea split up 250 million years ago.

Waitin' to hear from Mike Bryan. His area is less than 30 miles from the epicenter.

I was in a house on the side of a hill. It shook pretty good for about 20 seconds. My first thought was that I missed a major problem with the foundation and I was gonna take a ride with the house down the hill. I then looked out the window and saw the water in the pond and pool rippling and realized what was happening. It's not supposed to happen in the middle of a tectonic plate! I didn't think anything would happen here after Pangaea split up 250 million years ago.

Waitin' to hear from Mike Bryan. His area is less than 30 miles from the epicenter.

Mike was in Florida. He gets back today. Maybe he'll chime in.

Marc

Aaaaaaah, that was nothin'. Around here, that's an every 2-5 year shaker. If I really pay attention, I can feel movement at least once a month on the top floor of my condo here in Burbank, CA. Been through 5 major ones in my lifetime, with a friends' house shifted FEET off the foundation, pool water washed clean through the sliders and house, central chimney offset over 6", just totaled. And then there were the 2 story apartment buildings built over garages that pancaked...

I'm looking forward to the next one, whole lotta inspecting to do!

Central Maryland felt it good.

I was in my vehicle stationary in a parking lot and it began to bounce up and down and shimmy side to side. A water tower under construction a block away was swaying and banging something mad.

Wife was in the carport cleaning vehicles. Our carport motion detection surveillance camera saw the cars moving and recorded this video. Quality is not great since I had to make a vid of a vid since I dont have a convertor from H.264 to MPEG or AVI.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 5187238319

I missed it all. As Mark said, I was in Florida. The center was just up the road from where I live. The night I returned, a 4.8 aftershock occurred, and I slept right through it - maybe due to the fact I'm in a travel trailer with tires and a suspension.

Everyone here says it was pretty disturbing. A lot of folks walked out of buildings or stood in a doorway.

I did notice the one we had a few years back, and thought, at the time, the home I was inspecting must be near a quarry.