What's dis?

Denray

What is this breaker containing panel on the wall next to the sub panel.

Not a good picture of it, but it had about 5 switches on it that said 15 amps.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011824215552_what.jpg

42.46 KB

It had these wires going to it thru a poorly bonded conduit.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011824215735_These.jpg

95.84 KB

The red wires were siver stranded what?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201182422247_with.jpg

88.45 KB

Decal on top of the unit reads:

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011824215926_decal.jpg

50.16 KB

Right, it's a generator panel. Usually, a few lighting circuits and the freezer circuit are separated from the rest of the circuits for when the generator is used.

The critical thing to look for there is a proper isolation switch, two breakers in the main panel which are tied together, so that power from the utility is off when the generator is on. If that is missing, the installation is FUBAR. About half of the ones I see are wrong.

Without the isolation, a linesman could get shocked by the home owner's generator and that would not bode well for either of them.

I was guessing the generator thing.

Seems like the nut holding the conduit onto the panel is kind of cockeyed.

No generator present.

What's the wire made of?

Thanks all!

It's probably tin coated copper with a pvc jacket. It's finely stranded to make it flexible and fatigue resistant. Test leads on a quality meter are similar but with an even more flexible silicone jacket.

Thanks Bill, as well. I'm not familiar with that device, but it provides transfer switching for up to 6 circuits, so there is no switch or breaker added to the main panel, just jumpers to the individual circuits. The breakers are double-ended, so that power to or from the utility is cut when generator power is switched on.

(Not allowed in Canada, AFAIK:)

Thanks Bill, as well. I'm not familiar with that device, but it provides transfer switching for up to 6 circuits, so there is no switch or breaker added to the main panel, just jumpers to the individual circuits. The breakers are double-ended, so that power to or from the utility is cut when generator power is switched on.

(Not allowed in Canada, AFAIK:)

Right. Each individual 'breaker' doubles as a transfer switch. Very convenient. They still sell them.

Marc