Faux Stone Help..

DonTx

Donald,

Try the LSMA (The Lickum Stickum Masonry Assoc.) [:-slaphap

Sorry, this is the closest I get to any fake masonry: 20054321945_cast.jpg

It's a 25,000 sq. ft. home constructed of cast stone in the late 20's.

Your State might have a masonry council that may have published construction standards. Or you can try masonrydetails.com if their website is completed.

Well, no I didn't Bill, but the HiJack was worth it. Love those pics!

I'm looking for some type of standards such as the BIA. I acutally treat Faux Stone like brick and use the same standards. Typically faux stone will not be installed on a brick ledge here. It's simply hanging off the side of the building.

I'd like to have something to point to and say "See, this isn't right". Flashing and support details would be nice for starters. I'll check out the links provided above.

Thanks and keep the pics of the hold homes coming,

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

. . . I acutally treat Faux Stone like brick and use the same standards. Typically faux stone will not be installed on a brick ledge here. It's simply hanging off the side of the building. . .

I wouldn't treat it like brick. Think of it as stucco with really big aggregate in it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi,

Well, you're doing better than I am. I just went to do a search and found myself locked out. Seems my boss over at JLC apparently forgot to renew my membership. It's the only perk I get for moderating that forum, so I'm feeling a little put out. Just shot him a letter.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Another question on the same topic, I inspected a house that had stone veneer on the foundation, and the veneer extende below the soil. I called this out that in that it would wick moisture out of the soil and not let the water from the rain out. Was this a good call? There was concrete behind the stone veneer.

Kevin Teitel

House-Pro Inspections

Hi,

I wouldn't be as concerned with moisture wicking to that concrete foundation as I would with subs moving up behind the veneer to reach the sheathing and framing behind the fauxstone on the house above.

Naturally one would expect that the guy applying the stone had completely buttered the back of each and there was continuous mortar from side to side from the soil upward, but how do you know?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by kteitel

Another question on the same topic, I inspected a house that had stone veneer on the foundation, and the veneer extende below the soil. I called this out that in that it would wick moisture out of the soil and not let the water from the rain out. Was this a good call? There was concrete behind the stone veneer.

Kevin Teitel

House-Pro Inspections

Sub termites and drainage. You have to let the water out, or it soaks through the concrete and destroys the lath.

Hey Donald, The lick and stick stone is to be applied over 3.4 lath according to the manufacturer specs. The lath is supposed to be scratched just like for a three coat stucco system completely cover with mud. That is to help with holding the stone on the wall. Then you butter the back of the stones and stick the and dress up the joints.

• 3 years later...