Stubborn tree stump

This month is the first since my first year in business that I had not a single inspection. I thought I'd pass the time by challenging a stump in my front yard.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011830131813_005.jpg

107.46 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011830131847_Finished%20006.jpg

77.47 KB

Took this old fart about 20 hrs to get it out. A couple hours each am before it got too hot.

I enjoyed the challenge and saved the expense of a stump grinder rental.

I think I'll wait until I've a chain saw before I tackle another, larger one in my backyard.

Marc

Damn Marc - now that was work!

My grandfater was a school principle in the early 1940's. Whenever a boy was sent to him for being bad he gave the boy a choice of either taking some licks from the paddle or digging up stumps from the field next door to the school. Eventually the field was clear and to this day it is a sports field. But I don't think they were stumps like Marc's stump.

It takes a genuine philosopher to sit there and do that. I bet you got alot done in your head too. Nice job.

BTW, the axe is better for chopping the roots. Running a chain saw down in those dirt packed roots will tear the chain and bar up.

Even when you cut the lateral roots, sometimes theres a big tap root straight out the bottom that keeps it stuck in there.

It takes a genuine philosopher to sit there and do that. I bet you got alot done in your head too. Nice job.

BTW, the axe is better for chopping the roots. Running a chain saw down in those dirt packed roots will tear the chain and bar up.

Even when you cut the lateral roots, sometimes theres a big tap root straight out the bottom that keeps it stuck in there.

John, when I realized yesterday that I might not get the 'big tap root' out I did indeed get philosophical to the point where I was drawing parallels with every other failed endeavor that I've attempted in my life. Turns out that there was no big tap root, and this was an oak. Biggest roots were along the perimeter at shallow depths. As I dug down and went horizontally to get beneath the stump, the roots got smaller though I did have to get directly beneath the center axis of the stump to get the last one severed.

Marc

John, when I realized yesterday that I might not get the 'big tap root' out I did indeed get philosophical to the point where I was drawing parallels with every other failed endeavor that I've attempted in my life. Turns out that there was no big tap root, and this was an oak. Biggest roots were along the perimeter at shallow depths. As I dug down and went horizontally to get beneath the stump, the roots got smaller though I did have to get directly beneath the center axis of the stump to get the last one severed.

Marc

I hear ya. Its like this;

How do you eat an elephant? .......one bite at a time.