Electric De-icing Cable

Les

Does anyone (Yankees) have any thoughts regarding electric roof heat cable. Surface mount type, typically at eaves and valley(s). In Michigan they are used to prevent water back-up from ice dams.

My concerns and questions are: installed with gfci's?, effect on shingle warranty?, impact on home insurance?, life expectancy of cable?, could they be a fire hazard?, etc.. I'm kinda interested in opinions as well as anecdotal stories.

Thanks!

Les,

I never have been able to figure out how the NEC code-making panel 2 (the panel which addresses article 210) comes up with that which they do. Sometimes I think it's like throwing darts in the dark. From reading past issues of the NEC the only reason I can think of is that the receptacle is not "readily accessible". I guess that means you won't be likely to plug into the unprotected receptacle with an extension cord to power a weed wacker or other similar equipment. Just a guess though.

NORM SAGE