Wanted New Report System

Someone with 3d commented to me via Email several years ago that he had heard a case where 3d Report Writer was working on a derivative of Linux. It's just that 3d support services will not provide support to you if the OS is anything other than Windows.

Marc

I use auto text feature to store pre-written comments. By typing key words and hitting "enter" the comments drop right in place.

Is that auto-text or auto-correct? Either way, way cool. How'd ya ever come up with that?

Auto Text. I did not come up with it. Its a built in feature in Word. Its very easy to use once you know how. I learned about it from other members on this forum.

You can type any comment you want and save it to Auto Text where you assign it a prompt. Example below;

I have a boiler comment like this;

The grading needs attention at *. It does not slope away from the house. This condition can cause drainage problems. Drainage problems can cause moisture and structural issues for the house. Have the grade corrected at *

It has an assigned prompt of 1grade

I type 1grade and hit enter and the comment drops in.

My prompts are printed on my paper checklist that I use on site to collect data. They are highlighted in blue. When I see a problem on site I circle the prompt. When I write the report, I type the prompt, hit enter and the comment drops in.

Acrobat has the same function, but it would more accurately be described as 'auto-prompt.' Pretty much the same as auto prompt on web forms.

Instead of having an assigned heading for each prompt you would merely begin typing the phrase, "The grade...." Auto prompt then offers you multiple choices (based on previous entries) that begin with that phrase. All the auto-prompts exist in a separate editable file.

Since it's going to end up as a PDF anyway, you could easily convert all your word files to a PDF form to work from and just fill in the blanks or check boxes, etc.

Change the security to prevent document editing, compress (free email has document size limits), and send.

Acrobat has the same function, but it would more accurately be described as 'auto-prompt.' Pretty much the same as auto prompt on web forms.

Instead of having an assigned heading for each prompt you would merely begin typing the phrase, "The grade...." Auto prompt then offers you multiple choices (based on previous entries) that begin with that phrase. All the auto-prompts exist in a separate editable file.

Since it's going to end up as a PDF anyway, you could easily convert all your word files to a PDF form to work from and just fill in the blanks or check boxes, etc.

Change the security to prevent document editing, compress (free email has document size limits), and send.

Will Acrobat "auto prompt" allow you to assign your own prompts?

In Word I assign numbers in front of the key word to distinguish the different prompts IE;

1water leaks

2water intrusion

3water stains

By the time I type 1wat, the prompt is available. It saves time only typing 4 characters and knowing exactly what will be offered you.

The advanced auto-complete feature stores the information you enter into form fields and uses these entries to suggest relevant choices as you type into a field. If there are probable matches for a field, tabbing into that field will automatically display a list of them. If there is a very probable match, it will be entered in the field automatically. Pressing Tab while the pointer is over an entry in the list chooses the entry and moves to the next field.

I did the Word forms first, but the check boxes and the form fields only work correctly in different modes. One in protected mode and the other in unprotected mode. I understand Word (Office) 2010 corrected this problem.

Another advantage to Acrobat was being able to have internal document links (jump from various headings) pre-made on the document. Mine are tabs that line the edge of the page for the categories of interest. Something that couldn't be done from word unless you wanted to create them after you converted the document to pdf.

• 7 months later...

Man I am fairly young guy starting out, and pretty computer savvy, and working on a practice report right now with AHIT's PC version, and not impressed. I think its corrupted or something. I hate how it piggybacks Word, I think thats where the problems arise at least in my case. Now frantically trying to find something that will work, since I want to be ready to go next week, ouch more money!

Man I am fairly young guy starting out, and pretty computer savvy, and working on a practice report right now with AHIT's PC version, and not impressed. I think its corrupted or something. I hate how it piggybacks Word, I think thats where the problems arise at least in my case. Now frantically trying to find something that will work, since I want to be ready to go next week, ouch more money!

Take a look at Home Inspector Pro also Inspect Express ... Both good programs.

Man I am fairly young guy starting out, and pretty computer savvy

It your WPM is up there, you don't need to spend much on reporting software.

Ultimately, if your reports excel, WPM and writing skill are most vital.

I use 3d software which I first purchased 9 years ago when I didn't know anything. Now I use it's features less and less. Won't buy it again.

Marc