Patio mess

debvos

Can anyone tell me what the industry standard is to slope a patio that is 20ft from house and 46ft wide? I have been trying to get info on another site but everyone there is arguing with each other and I really need this info and how can I find it? I have a patio that is a lake and turns to ice in the winter. WA state weather. This patio was poured last year and I have tried to get someone to "get it right". Between the contractor and the sub-contractor what they want is to grind the patio down so water ca run off. I can't see that working I did not pay for a ground up patio, I just want to be safe this year! My daughter and I spent almost a whole year living in the garage to put a new modular home on the property, to find that using the back door was dangerous when it rained and then froze. Even the dog would not walk on this patio in the winter, she walked all the way around then hugged the house for safety!!

Hi,

A 1/4 inch drop per foot away from the house would certainly do it here; as long as the patio is flat or crowned and not saucer shaped.

How is the back yard configured drainage wise? Why didn't you just ask them to rim it with a french drain and connect it to whatever other drainage system you have? That usually does the trick.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Check out: IRC R401.3 (2006 version at least). You need to find out what code the place was built under so that you know what the requirement was. No matter what, water shouldn't pool on a concrete surface.

I am assuming your patio is built up against your house, but you seem to have conflicting info. in your explanation-- pictures would be nice.

EDIT: It looks like that part of the code was stricken from WA's building code?:: WA Code

Can anyone tell me what the industry standard is to slope a patio that is 20ft from house and 46ft wide?

The industry standard is a 2% grade away from the house. The reference is the one Brandon gave you, IRC 401.3. The applicable section states, "Impervious surfaces within 10 feet (3048 mm) of the building foundation shall be sloped a minimum of 2 percent away from the building." That's about 1/4" per foot, which is the number that everyone else is giving you. Pretty much everyone in construction knows this except for the dimwits that you hired. Washington state has adopted the IRC and they have not altered this particular section. This is not a suggestion or a guideline, it's the law. If the builder didn't build it in accordance with this standard, then he's in violation of the law.

I have been trying to get info on another site but everyone there is arguing with each other and I really need this info and how can I find it? I have a patio that is a lake and turns to ice in the winter. WA state weather. This patio was poured last year and I have tried to get someone to "get it right". Between the contractor and the sub-contractor what they want is to grind the patio down so water ca run off. I can't see that working I did not pay for a ground up patio, I just want to be safe this year! My daughter and I spent almost a whole year living in the garage to put a new modular home on the property, to find that using the back door was dangerous when it rained and then froze. Even the dog would not walk on this patio in the winter, she walked all the way around then hugged the house for safety!!

Tell the contractor that you want him to remove the existing slab and place a new one properly. If he refuses, hire a lawyer and bring suit against him.

Check out: IRC R401.3 (2006 version at least). You need to find out what code the place was built under so that you know what the requirement was. No matter what, water shouldn't pool on a concrete surface.

I am assuming your patio is built up against your house, but you seem to have conflicting info. in your explanation-- pictures would be nice.

EDIT: It looks like that part of the code was stricken from WA's building code?:: WA Code

Your link has an extra character after the pdf file extension that prevented it from being opened. I was able to save it, remove the character and then it opened just fine.

Marc

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif ga-IRC06v3 (1).pdf

336.22 KB

One other point. Removing the existing slab and placing a new one will be much cheaper for him that a personal injury suit if you or your daughter were to fall and be hurt.

I've used that argument in regards to trip hazards (improperly constructed stairs) on new construction inspections. The builder saw the light and replaced them the last couple of times.

Marc-- thanks for fixing the link.

Jim--If 401.3 wasn't stricken by WA, why doesn't it show up on that link? Oops, I just realized I'd only linked to the WA amendments for the IRC. That's what I get for just shooting straight to where I expected to see 401.3.....