Why install flashing in this way?

Robert Jones

Yes, I agree with what you all have said as I think there is a rule of installing flashing over shingles that water runs downhills but sometimes the second rule creates contradiction with the first one.

I don't understand your post in regard to the 'second rule'.

Care to clarify it?

Marc

Yes, I agree with what you all have said as I think there is a rule of installing flashing over shingles that water runs downhills but sometimes the second rule creates contradiction with the first one.

I don't understand your post in regard to the 'second rule'.

Care to clarify it?

Marc

I don't understand the first rule either. Flashing need not alway be installed over shingles.

Hi,

See it every fifty or so older house. It's usually installed on the south or west gable here 'cuz that's where the wind comes from and they're trying to prevent water from being forced under the shingles into the roof plane and attic below. It works when the nails are daubed but if the nails aren't daubed as Jim pointed out it sends water between layers anyway.

Most roofers around here don't use drip edgings at all. If they do, they put them at the rakes and not at the eaves and most don' t have a clue about how to install it properly when they do install it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike