Brick Veneer is waterproof, isn't it?

Erby

What difference does it make if water runs down the brick instead of into the gutter.

Front view

Click to Enlarge
tn_201192174357_B090.jpg

57.13 KB

Kick out flashing isn't quite doing the job

Click to Enlarge
tn_20119217460_B088.jpg

66.58 KB

In the crawl space under the area

Click to Enlarge
tn_201192174716_B126.jpg

40.37 KB

Why it's worth pulling back the insulation

Click to Enlarge
tn_201192174821_B129.jpg

46.23 KB

For some reason, I always have a big sigh of relief when I find this kind of stuff. Maybe because I know it won't come back to bite me because I didn't find it.

-

Wow, one can tell times are tough when mini-mansions are built over crawls with dirt floors. Must belong to one of those Politocos barely scraping by on $400K a year.

Say what?

They built multi-million dollar homes over crawlspaces out here with nothing but 6mil poly over the dirt. Concrete over the dirt is extremely rare out here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

This is the land-O-basements. A house like the OP would be very unlikely to have a crawl, and if it did, it would be a very small percentage of the footprint, be 3-4' high, and have a concrete floor. We still have out share of crawls, just not at that price point.

In general, I think it has more to do with frost depth than price point. In your area, you have to get the footings so deep that a basement is a logical next step. Out here, our footings only need to be 12" below grade, so adding a basement is a large, and very expensive, step beyond that.

In general, I think it has more to do with frost depth than price point. In your area, you have to get the footings so deep that a basement is a logical next step. Out here, our footings only need to be 12" below grade, so adding a basement is a large, and very expensive, step beyond that.

If you don't have a basement, where do you keep your stuff?

This is the land-O-basements. A house like the OP would be very unlikely to have a crawl, and if it did, it would be a very small percentage of the footprint, be 3-4' high, and have a concrete floor. We still have out share of crawls, just not at that price point.

Yeah, I get that part. Unless there is a geological obstacle (boulders or bedrock) or a geographical one (having to haul away the soils), a full basement is only a couple thousand more than a full crawl, and only a few hundred more than a partial. It's a no-brainer.

My point was that there'd be no dirt within the envelope at that price point and build date, it would be covered with concrete. It's a regional thing.

If you don't have a basement, where do you keep your stuff?

The garage. . . c'mon, man.

Chad, Randy is correct for my area. Only society I know of where people buy expensive cars, then leave them out in the weather (sun here) to degrade while they keep mostly worthless junk filling the garage.

MGB, shocking truth, there are 4 square feet of storage (not including that owned by the person storing the stuff) for every man, woman and child in the US. There are many places globally where people would love to have those 4 SF just to have enough room to live in. I believe the source of that stat is Nat Geo TV.

Like Marc, we don't have a lot of below-ground basements here. They just fill up with rainwater. Walk-in basement set into the hill are pretty common. View lots, eh?

As a rule, crawlspaces after 1970 have a concrete skim coat over a poly vapor barrier. The concrete doesn't need to be a slab, just enough to protect the poly and make a nice floor to creep around on.

Storage hurts our economy. Throw it out so you can buy more Chinese product, so they can lend us more cash. [:-party]