moulding/flashing veneer stone on concrete wall

Shawnsback

So this flower bed turned from one side to two sides, then stairs, curvy walls and all the silly changes as the year progressed. Everything is concrete including the stairs. 4 inch thick patio blocks have been installed as cap stones and as the treads on the stairs.

My concern is installing the stone around the treads of the stairs properly.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20119231967_please%20work.jpg

98.68 KB

I was thinking maybe install a J weep or something 1.5 inches or so away from the risers and the treads. Have stucco (or just the unfinished concrete) underneath that and give the blocks some space. plus is it a good idea to grout and tie the mortar into the patio blocks? (PL'd) I doubt it.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201192319736_you%20too.jpg

97.39 KB

Dealing with the annoying roundness or river rock, what is the common practice to terminating the stone/mortar and transitioning to stucco properly? they now want stucco to meet up with the stone somehow. kinda like this

Click to Enlarge
tn_201192319854_damn.jpg

69.22 KB

well hope I did better on this post...Im still learning how to explain myself better. Thanks for reading

Shawnsback

Yeah, this idea (extremely prevalent in my 'hood) that one can simply glue pavers to concrete substrates, or almost as bad, simply bed them in sand, is entirely mistaken.

It'll be running with stains in a year or so, and the concrete will blow up in about 5 years. Especially the stairs.

All that fake stone coping should have flashing under it to keep water from migrating down into the wall. I'd give that a few more years than the stairs because the damage won't be as visible and folks won't have to walk on it.

Joe L. should add this as the 11th item in his top ten list about how not to build in northern climates.

This is what Troba was made for.