Cozy Gas Fireplace

Found this setup at recent inspection. It would seem to me that combustion air is a problem, also potential for CO2, not to mention the fabric and plant sitting on top, What are your thoughts?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011927174929_IMG_1753.jpg

54.43Â KB

I think it's warm outside and they're not using whatever that thing is.The top is rusty so they planted a plant on the tapestry to make potential buyers feel warm and fuzzy. You have to admit, it's very Martha Stewart. Or Rod Stewart.

Whatever.

And, it's better to hear it here: CO is the problem in this case, not CO2. When the beer no longer comes out of the tap- that's a CO2 problem.

Found this setup at recent inspection. It would seem to me that combustion air is a problem, also potential for CO2, not to mention the fabric and plant sitting on top, What are your thoughts?

Like Chad said no one's going to be running it during the summer and I think that most people aren't stupid enough to leave that stuff on it when they do run it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does that vent extend all the way to the top of that masonry flue or did they stop it inside the flue. If it doesn't extend all the way to the top and have a collar/cover you've got the potential for exhaust gas to condense on the inside of that large cold stack and cause damage to the flue liner as well as the potential for it to backdraft into the house every time a door or window is cracked or an exhaust fan is turned on.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Like Chad said no one's going to be running it during the summer and I think that most people aren't stupid enough to leave that stuff on it when they do run it.

Well there is your key phrase, "most people." Problem is that small fraction that have zero common sense that will try to fire it up first chilly night/morning. Things like this sure keep the undertaker in business.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011927174929_IMG_1753.jpg

54.43Â KB

I think it's warm outside and they're not using whatever that thing is.The top is rusty so they planted a plant on the tapestry to make potential buyers feel warm and fuzzy. You have to admit, it's very Martha Stewart. Or Rod Stewart.

Whatever.

And, it's better to hear it here: CO is the problem in this case, not CO2. When the beer no longer comes out of the tap- that's a CO2 problem.

Yep the whole co2 thing, had to laugh when I saw I posted that. I had to go edit my original post.