30A 120V circuit

SNations

Is there ever a legitimate reason to have a 30A 120V circuit? It's my understanding that 30A is allowed for "fixed utilization equipment" (and obviously I see 30A 240V all the time) but I can't think of any equipment that uses 30A on 120V. Is there anything like that?

In the case I saw yesterday it was clearly an attempt to get more juice out of the six circuits supplying a 1400 square foot 3 bedroom duplex.

Is there ever a legitimate reason to have a 30A 120V circuit? It's my understanding that 30A is allowed for "fixed utilization equipment" (and obviously I see 30A 240V all the time) but I can't think of any equipment that uses 30A on 120V. Is there anything like that?

In the case I saw yesterday it was clearly an attempt to get more juice out of the six circuits supplying a 1400 square foot 3 bedroom duplex.

I've seen a few built-in vacuums that required a 30-amp / 120-volt circuit. Obviously a different situation than your 3-bedroom duplex.

• 2 months later...