back flow valve location

Jeff Beck

From yesterday's inspection:

Is this back flow valve located in the correct position?

There is a battery powered back-up pump on top of the main sump pump but only the main is protected by the back flow valve.

When the main pump is manually activated it drains the crock. When the main shuts off, the crock refills through the back-up pump.

The picture doesn't show it but both pumps are submerged with ample room to spare when the crock is refilled through the back-up pump.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011101517557_DSCF4340.jpg

63.54 KB

Or maybe the better question is shouldn't both pumps be located on the base of the crock and protected by a single back flow valve?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help

Jeff

There is a battery powered back-up pump on top of the main sump pump but only the main is protected by the back flow valve.

When the main pump is manually activated it drains the crock. When the main shuts off, the crock refills through the back-up pump.

The picture doesn't show it but both pumps are submerged with ample room to spare when the crock is refilled through the back-up pump.

Click to Enlarge

63.54?KB

Or maybe the better question is shouldn't both pumps be located on the base of the crock and protected by a single back flow valve?

Jeff

The backup needs to be higher only so that it won't cycle all the time. It should only cycle when the primary pump fails.

Each pump should have its own backflow valve so that one can't pump water into the other.

Click to Enlarge

63.54?KB

Jeff

The backup needs to be higher only so that it won't cycle all the time. It should only cycle when the primary pump fails.

Each pump should have its own backflow valve so that one can't pump water into the other.

I never even thought about the backup needing to be higher. I can't even tell you the last time I found a backup pump in my area.

Glad you posted Jim!

Those plastic POS's should be relocated to the waste bin; it's a plastic pump on a 12 volt battery. Plumbers around here love them because it's a high margin quick turnaround job.

I hate plastic pumps; I find about 50 a year that don't work.

Sumpro UPS with a Zoeller or Hydramatic pump. If you live someplace that needs a pump system, it's the way to go.