Yet Another Obsessive Thread About Flashlights...

Robert Jones

I purchased the Olight after that "review". I will say this, that Olight is no joke bright. Battery life sucks but it is incredibly bright.

But that's just how it's gonna be for a long time to come. We were all used to UltraStingers, but then the Fenix comes around, and is better in every way imaginable, so we all get one. Technology improves--blindingly fast--and suddenly the Fenix seems like little more than a toy.

A camera you can buy in a couple of years will make this new Pentax seem neanderthal by comparison.

I picked up an iPhone 4s on Friday. To have that much firepower in such a small package seems impossible. But in three or four years? It'll be just like the Fenix.

But that's just how it's gonna be for a long time to come. We were all used to UltraStingers, but then the Fenix comes around, and is better in every way imaginable, so we all get one. Technology improves--blindingly fast--and suddenly the Fenix seems like little more than a toy.

Maybe but I'll say this: I bought my Streamlight Stinger LED HP in Feb 2010 and it has gone dead on the job no more than 3 times. I've a backup battery. Each battery runs 7 hrs on low beam and 2 on high. It's so small, easy to carry around and bright that I don't even care to try anything else. Nothing on it has ever broken.

I never did understand the membership's fascination with the Fenix.

Marc

I alternate between the M20 and the M30, and haven't had a problem with battery life. Each begins to grow dim by the end of the day--which at first made me think the things were broken--but I carry several spare batteries so no worries.

Pila chargers, by the way, are the road to take with 18650s. Two Ultrafire chargers failed so I did some research and learned about Pilas. I'm talking Porsche v. Volkswagen.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... ger-Review

I have both and the difference in illumination is quite noticeable. How often are you changing out your batteries? Have you found a reasonable source for the 123 type batteries?

Rob Jones

South Sound Inspections

Seattle Home Inspection

I use 18650's. I get 'em at Amazon. (Tenergy)

Marc

They came out before the Ultrastinger. They're a good light.

That's the only thing you don't understand about this membership...(?!?).

It's a hundred and some lumens brighter than the Fenix, but the battery life seems effected only slightly. I've not noticed any significant difference, anyway.

What model Olight- I didn't see any with more than 700 lumen output. My Fenix is 760

I have the OLight M30. It's the 700 lumen light and it uses two 18650s.

• 3 months later...

I recently picked up an Olight M21x warrior and wanted to share my experience so far. I must say that the Olight is very impressive. I was planning on going with the Fenix Tk-11 until these threads started coming out about the Olight.

I knew it was going to be bright, but I had no idea that it would be just as bright as my 18v Ryobi HID spot light which weighs in at about 5lbs. The lowest setting on the Olight is almost useless while the middle setting is almost as bright as the highest setting. I leave it on the middle setting most of the time and put it on the highest setting in the crawlspace and attics.

I?m still on the original 123 batteries that came with the light after two full days of inspections. I took Bains advice after some research of my own and ordered the Pila charger and AW 2900amh batteries to the tune of $84.00. (cheapest I could find) So $85.00 shipped for the light and $84.00 shipped for the batteries and charger isn?t a bad deal. The only problem I see now is I want the M30.

Thanks for all the fine recommendations,

Kiel

I just picked up a new flashlight due to a failed tailcap switch on my 830 lumen Jetbeam. i junked a Fenix and another light also for failed tailcap switches.

This is a Barska 1200 lumen light, and takes the 18650 cells. The same company that makes high quality scopes and binoculars. Super bright. We'll see how it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

You can purchase good Cr123 From the battery junction, stick with the energizer. Brand name does make a difference with batteries.

Maybe but I'll say this: I bought my Streamlight Stinger LED HP in Feb 2010 and it has gone dead on the job no more than 3 times. I've a backup battery. Each battery runs 7 hrs on low beam and 2 on high. It's so small, easy to carry around and bright that I don't even care to try anything else. Nothing on it has ever broken.

Marc

You can purchase good Cr123 From the battery junction, stick with the energizer. Brand name does make a difference with batteries.

That's not always the case. For years I've been buying their store branded lithium ion batteries for my cameras from http://www.accessorypower.com/ . They are dirt cheap and last for up to two years of heavy use, through hundreds of recharges.

I've had the same experience. I think batteries are subject to the same sorts of things other globalized products are, i.e., sometimes they're OK, sometimes not.

Currently, I've having good luck with Tenergy's......a few years ago, they sucked.

I don't think anyone would argue the Ultrafires' are any good.