Shingle Cracks (Certainteed Knowledge Anyone?)

inspectorwill

Roof I inspected today is 7-10 years old. Appears to be Certainteed brand. Roof ventilation is good with soffits, gables and dormers. Home is in moderate climate also. There is cracking at all shingles. Is anyone familiar with the Certainteed line that had a class action regarding cracking? Or any other ideas as to why? Thanks.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201110200581_P1010021.jpg

87.54 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011102005816_P1010024.jpg

85.51 KB

Those are Certainteed Presidentials. I see them often, but I've never seen them crack like that.

Those shingles have two complete layers of material (three if they're the Presidential TL version). Were the cracks limited to the upper layer or did they extend to the lower one as well?

It's essential that the homeowner contact Certainteed and file a claim now. Those shingles come with a pretty good warranty and the sooner that claim is filed, the greater the value the warranty will have.

From http://www.certainteedshinglesettlement.com/identifyshingles.cfm

The shingles that are the subject of this lawsuit are organic asphalt shingles manufactured from July 1, 1987 through 2005 under the brand names Hallmark Shangle, Independence Shangle, Horizon Shangle, Custom Sealdon, Custom Sealdon 30, Sealdon 20, Sealdon 25, Hearthstead, Solid Slab, Master Slab, Custom Saf-T-Lok, Saf-T-Lok, and Custom Lok 25.

However, not all shingles marketed with these brand names were CertainTeed Organic Shingles. The Horizon, Independence, Hallmark, and Hearthstead brands were marketed in both organic and fiberglass formulations. Also, all shingles CertainTeed sold after 2005 are fiberglass shingles. If your shingles are fiberglass, they are not part of this lawsuit.

Now my turn to bite, how do you guys know shingle brand? Is it just because CertainTeed is organic or am I missing something here? I would really like to know how to identify with confidence shingle brand and/or type. Is there a guide I can look at or someone interested in sharing secrets?

As always, I appreciate all of the help you guys have given me over the years.

. . . Now my turn to bite, how do you guys know shingle brand? Is it just because CertainTeed is organic or am I missing something here? I would really like to know how to identify with confidence shingle brand and/or type. Is there a guide I can look at or someone interested in sharing secrets? . . .

With very few exceptions, I can't tell one shingle brand from another just by looking at them from the top. Some of the exceptions are the Certainteed Presidentials and the old Certainteed Shangles. They're just very distinctive looking.

I sometimes discretely lift the shingles in a valley or at a rake edge and peek at the plastic strip on the bottom. It often lists the manufacturer and the manufacturing date.

Also, in my area, it seems like most of the shingles are Pabco, Certainteed, Malarkey, or Owens Corning. So that limits the field.