1ft Height From Collar for a Water Heater Vent?

hausdok

Trying to remember. Think I recall seeing a discussion where someone discussed the requirement for a minimum 1ft height from the collar before the exhaust vent on a furnace or water heater is permitted to turn. Anyone recall that discussion or know what the code cite, if any, was?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Everything that I have seen so far makes reference to a minimum one foot connector rise for two or more appliances. I have not see anything related to one appliance all by itself.

See Table G2428.3 (1) or G2428.3(2) in the 2006 IRC. Even DuraVent makes reference to "plan a minimum of one foot vertical connector rise coming out of each appliance" This would indicate to me two or more appliances.

However, I have never seen a problem in my area either way.

Jeff Euriech

Peoria Arizona

Everything that I have seen so far makes reference to a minimum one foot connector rise for two or more appliances. I have not see anything related to one appliance all by itself.

See Table G2428.3 (1) or G2428.3(2) in the 2006 IRC. Even DuraVent makes reference to "plan a minimum of one foot vertical connector rise coming out of each appliance" This would indicate to me two or more appliances.

However, I have never seen a problem in my area either way.

Jeff Euriech

Peoria Arizona

Those are good points. I'd like to hear Bob Harper's response.

There seems to be no backdrafting at the draft-hood... that scorching at the burner compartment area could be a case of flame roll-out? (Burner-related problem?)

Or the inside burner compartment shield not in place. I see that one often because some are kind of difficult to get in place so they just lean it up or leave it off.....