Black Patina

Charles

Good afternoon.

Posted same over on ASHI Forum but am interested to hear this groups opinion.

Home was built is 2000-2001. Wood frame structure with plaster stucco wall cladding. Main distribution system is located at garage. No on site chemical storage. No swimming pool.

What could be the cause of the black patina on the expose copper in the main distribution center?

Thanks in advance.

Charles Gifford

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111028151750_Black%20Patena%20Main%20Panel.jpg

89.09 KB

This shows up on a number of posts in various forums, the "why is the copper black?" question.

It always seems to go to corrosive atmospheres; Chinese drywall, battery charging locations, lawn fertilizer stored near panel, etc., etc.

I'd be looking for the corrosive agent...since it's Florida, i'd certain be considering Chinese drywall.

Good afternoon.

Home was built is 2000-2001. Wood frame structure with plaster stucco wall cladding. Main distribution system is located at garage. No on site chemical storage. No swimming pool.

What could be the cause of the black patina on the expose copper in the main distribution center?

Thanks in advance.

Charles Gifford

At some time in the past, the copper was exposed to an airborne corrosive chemical. That's about all that you can say.

Charles,

I have chased blackened copper for several years and have no common cause. The only thing we found was the copper typically was blackened, if the house was vacant, flooded basement and had a private septic system. None of those factors seem to apply to your situation.

I agree with Jim K

Good afternoon.

Thanks in advance.

Charles Gifford

At some time in the past, the copper was exposed to an airborne corrosive chemical. That's about all that you can say.

Some one was making meth in the garage.

The suspect dates for Chinese drywall are 2004 - 2008.

I guess it could have had some installed in a remodel or an addition...

I have read elsewhere that the contaminated Chinese drywall in the US could date back as far as 1999. Like you say, the garage walls may have been finished later.

One clue to look for is the manufacturer's stamp on the back of the drywall sheets. I would take a look in the attic, pull back insulation and try to determine where the drywall came from.

The other thing to do, I think, is to pull some switch and outlet covers in the living space and make see if the tarnish is isolated to the garage or not.