Marks on basement walls - cause???

Hello all:

Have a look at attached picture.

What would cause these marks on the basement walls?

It looks like when you shoot something with a BB gun, how it is deep in the center and fans out towards the edges. These marks were on all walls.

Each one of these had water stains and looked rusty as well .

TIA

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Bradley.jpg

30.43 KB

Originally posted by Terence McCann

. . .

What would cause these marks on the basement walls?

It looks like when you shoot something with a BB gun, how it is deep in the center and fans out towards the edges. These marks were on all walls.

Each one of these had water stains and looked rusty as well . . .

From your description it sounds like the cone-shaped depressions left in concrete from snap-ties.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Here's my guess and I'm glad that I didn't jump on the snap tie theory since it's a block wall.

theory 1) hydraulic cement was used to patch imperfections. The iron oxide in hydraulic cement is the element that causes it to expand as it cures from the rusting and resulting expansion. The water proofing varieties of hydraulic cement don't have a ton of iron in them, but machinery grade (they bore holes in a floor then set the bolts that hold the machines down in hydraulic cement in the floor) has a LOT of iron content and will literally rust. That's the least plausible of the two theories given the locations of the pops.

theory two) the local aggregates used in the manufacturing of the block was high iron ore content and that caused the rust, the expansion and the 'pop'. There are'nt any apparent problems in the mortar joints. Slightly more plausible theory.