Ah, the Good Old Days . . .

Not nearly caustic enough.

I recommend attending my online course "Scorched Earth Diplomacy: Flamethrower Negotiating Guidelines for Home Inspectors".

I can run you through my tried and true methods for alienating sellers, squelching realtor comments before they start, and creating positive customer relationships through refusing to put up with lippy backtalk.

Not nearly caustic enough.

I recommend attending my online course "Scorched Earth Diplomacy: Flamethrower Negotiating Guidelines for Home Inspectors".

I can run you through my tried and true methods for alienating sellers, squelching realtor comments before they start, and creating positive customer relationships through refusing to put up with lippy backtalk.

And the "Wait,...there's more!" price for these pearls of wisdom?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Nolan, what do you think of them there Northern folk?

Marc

Well ... having lived/survived in Manhattan in a prior life for ~10-years I've heard about most everything.

Now ... on the other hand I've already learned from Kurt that it is very important to have an "agent abeyance tool" and that has already helped a lot. My flashlight with the sharp shroud!!

Okay I love it, but what is "set back mode"?

It was a programmable thermostat that had a normal temperature setting for when you wanted normal heat and a set back temperature setting for when you were at work, or asleep, or whatever. I left it set to the set back temperature instead of the normal temperature. If he had waited about a half a day, the program would have righted itself.

I cant believe they all would get ticked over silly stuff like that. I figure I cause those little glitches from time to time. Nobody ever calls me back complaining.

Maybe its those veins that bulge and throb in my neck and forehead that keeps 'em at bay. Seriously though, sometimes I loose my breath just talking I'm so wound up. I still get sore from running up and down stairs, swinging through truss work and contorting my way through crawls.

Anyway, I like the letter. I still wonder why I haven't had any petty complaints.

I had a seller call me and threaten a lawsuit because I had not set one of their three T-Stats precisely at some temperature (I believe he said it was to be at 68.5 degrees). Due to this it caused him and his wife undue stress, agony, harm and a number of other $25.00 words. It took them 4 days to figure out what was "wrong" in their Master Suite.

I usually leave T-Stats at ~78 to 80 degrees in the spring/summer.

Mind you my client (buyer) bought the house, it had closed and everyone had moved on ... I thought. Apparently the seller just didn't have enough to do.

After the initial pit in my stomach settled down I asked the seller if he was truly serious and he was. I carried on the call with him for a bit and then offered him the contact information for the attorney at TREC, the location on their website for the required complaint form, etc., etc., etc..

During this time I had pulled up the report and was reviewing it and found that there were many items that were a hazard, unsafe and potentially life threatening in the home. IE: Broken pull-down attic access ladder, electrical with wire nuts (no junction boxes) in the attic and a few more such items.

As the call was ending I asked the seller for his current address, full name, name of his attorney and such. He then provided me same and asked why. I replied by saying that I was going to call my attorney when we completed the call and have him prepare a lawsuit against him (the seller) for having such unsafe conditions that threatened my life and safety during the inspection.

All of a sudden the T-Stat not being set at his 'required' temperature seemed to be a small issue especially after I told him that the pictures of the unsafe conditions had all been provided to the buyer in the inspection report that I'm sure he saw.

Another day in the neighborhood. [:-wiltel]

I usually leave T-Stats at ~78 to 80 degrees in the spring/summer.

. . . .

As the call was ending I asked the seller for his current address, full name, name of his attorney and such. He then provided me same and asked why. I replied by saying that I was going to call my attorney when we completed the call and have him prepare a lawsuit against him (the seller) for having such unsafe conditions that threatened my life and safety during the inspection.

The best defense is a good offense. Nice.

I'm curious though about how you leave the thermostat. Don't you try to leave it the way you found it, regardless of what that might be?

I do and I did. Ergo the somewhat of a bit of confusion on my part.

I also leave a letter (on occupied homes) to the owner, seller, tenant about having them check to be sure that T-Stats are set where they expect them along with sprinkler controls, etc., etc..

Problem is that I had run out of those pre-printed letters at this particular inspection.

Murphy is alive and well ... but it turned out OK.