Happy 236th Birthday - US Marine Corps

In just an hour or two, it'll be the 236th Birthday of the United States Marine Corp.

Semper Fi and Happy Birthday Fellow Marines.

On November 10th, 1775 (236 years ago) the United States Congress created the greatest fighting force on earth.

The United States Marine Corps.

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share!" Ned Dolan

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the Marines don't have that problem." Ronald Reagan

[utube]

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

Erby Crofutt

USMC 1971 - 1975

-

Thanks for posting that, Erby.

My Dad graduated from the University of Parris Island almost 60 years ago. My mother baked a cake every November 10th and we all sang Happy Birthday to the Marine Corp every year while I was growing up.

Today, Dad lives in a nursing home. He can't attend to himself at all and while he always recognizes me as a friendly, familiar person, he forgot my name a long time ago. As often as not, he calls me "Irving." He calls nearly every man he meets "Irving" and he calls women "Mary Beth Mercurochrome" I have no idea why this is, but I can't help smiling every time I hear him do it.

A few days ago, I told him the date and asked him if he knew what November 10th was. He didn't miss a beat. "It's the Marine Corp birthday," he said with that chesty, chin forward, Marine Corp pride.

Happy Birthday to jarheads everywhere.

Irving

I am an airman, for all my brothers who wore the other special uniform of our armed services I extend my salute to you, the USMC.

Today, on this great day here in the Heartland, free, because a chosen few stood a line and said we can all sleep in peace today.

Today, I am serving a KC Strip dinner for the daughter of a family friend. She is deploying to Afghanistan shortly to take her place on that watch and join her fellow Marines.

I served my country just as millions had done before me, I joined a long line in my family, in serving. Now, I sit on the sidelines and watch as this generation proudly and honorably takes that stand abroad and lets us all enjoy freedom.

GOD Bless them all. America is proud of them. USMC, 236 and standing firm, ready for more. Happy Birthday Chesty, we love you.