Name these 1955 boiler components

John Kogel

The original oil burner has been replaced with a 125 amp electric unit. This little unit heats about 2000 sq ft.

What are the red devices on the supply pipe and what functions do they serve? From the right at the supply valve, I see a cast iron bulb that could be a sediment trap. Then there's a pressure regulator? The device in the foreground has a discharge tube. Is it a pressure relief valve? Why does this system need these devices?

At the left of pic 1 is the 55 year old water heater. I called it copper, but it looks like it could be brass? It has one 120 volt element, and is still heating water faithfully. The pressure relief valve is leaking, though. I don't think there is a TPRV with a temperature sensor that is long enough to be mounted that high above the tank, is there? I described it as a PRV.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011113015127_boiler%20supply%20pipe.jpg

65.9?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011113015157_boiler.jpg

47.56?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011113015217_boiler2.jpg

50.81?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011113015844_WtrHtr.jpg

51.69?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201111301595_WaterHtr.jpg

45.87?KB

Yes, I saw that asbestos.

I think I did it right- there are four items, they're all red:

PRV, regulator, back flow preventer aka check valve, and the fill valve. Did I miss something?

I can name that boiler in three components!*

Chad you are right with your description of FOUR components.

* likely only seven people will catch this.

Thanks, Bill. I will file that one for next time, pressure reducing valve in front of a pressure relief valve. (But behind it in the pic).

A check valve and that other thing that's not a boiler component. [:)]

I don't have pics of the original circulating pump, but I got the instructions.

It needed oil every 3 months and not sewing machine oil, either. SAE 20.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20111130212937_armstrongpump.jpg

91.9?KB

Chad, if you had 5 of these pumps in your basement, you could oil a pump every weekend of the year for the rest of your life. Five pumps, each with 3 oil cups, spread over a 3 month rotation, with a holiday.

Chad, if you had 5 of these pumps in your basement, you could oil a pump every weekend of the year for the rest of your life. Five pumps, each with 3 oil cups, spread over a 3 month rotation, with a holiday.

I tried to get pumps with oil cups, but they're harder to find. Now, I'll never get to wear my engineer's cap.