Kitchen Fan Terminates at Outside Soffit

Mike Lamb

This will be the termination for a kitchen cooktop exhaust fan. The fan has not been installed or purchased. I'd guess that under a soffit would be a poor choice with smoke, grease and moisture wanting to rise. I pulled up some installation instructions and have seen vents horizontal through walls and straight up through the roof but nothing that specifically prohibits soffit venting or says it's a bad idea.

Does anyone have any applicable documents to support my position.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20121820623_019.jpg

42.28 KB

This will be the termination for a kitchen cooktop exhaust fan. The fan has not been installed or purchased. I'd guess that under a soffit would be a poor choice with smoke, grease and moisture wanting to rise. I pulled up some installation instructions and have seen vents horizontal through walls and straight up through the roof but nothing that specifically prohibits soffit venting or says it's a bad idea.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20121820623_019.jpg

42.28?KB

Do you mean that the exhaust on this cooking appliance will function as intended without a fan?

Marc

Click to Enlarge
tn_20121820623_019.jpg

42.28?KB

Do you mean that the exhaust on this cooking appliance will function as intended without a fan?

Marc

No. The will be fan I'm sure.

If this is a new installation I guess codes would apply. Here's the 2006 IRC on the subject:

M1501.1 Outdoor discharge. The air removed by every

mechanical exhaust system shall be discharged to the outdoors.

Air shall not be exhausted into an attic, soffit, ridge vent or

crawl space.

The termination through might pass, but I agree that the potential for grease-laden vapor makes it less than the best.