New Jersey Licensing Law change

It passed out of the The Assembly Environment and Solid Waste Committee w/amendments.

"As amended, this bill requires, within 18 months after the date of enactment of the bill into law, the Commissioner of Community Affairs, in consultation with the Board of Public Utilities (BPU) and the Home Inspection Advisory Committee within the Division of Consumer Affairs in the Department of Law and Public Safety, to adopt an energy inspection code to be used by licensed home inspectors in the preparation of an energy analysis for a house inspected for a buyer in contemplation of its purchase. The energy inspection code is to incorporate aspects of the New Jersey Energy Star Home Program.

This bill further requires licensed home inspectors to include, for every home inspection performed during the course of an inspection in contemplation of the purchase of a residential property, a report containing an energy analysis for the home, prepared in accordance with the energy inspection code adopted by the Commissioner of Community Affairs pursuant to section 1 of the bill".

The committee amendments:

1) specify that the Commission of Community Affairs is to adopt an “energy inspection code,â€

Whats truly amazing is the NJDCA always had adopted the national energy code as part of the building code; yet in only about 5% of new construction do I see any attempt to comply.

Just yesterday I did a 4 year old house in a very large development that had no basement insulation at all; of course the POS furnaces were the bottom of the barrel in energy efficiency.

http://www.nj.gov/dca/codes/bulletins_f ... n_07-2.pdf

Darren

www.aboutthehouseinspections.com

Many of the lawmakers do not have the correct advice and knowledge about the professions for which they are proposing regulations . Many of the requirements are silly and don't make sense. More importantly, the Licensed Professionals have to follow the rules while the people that are actually misrepresenting themselves and practicing illegally are not being stopped. What else is new?!?!

As far as the energy evaluation as part of the Home Inspection process, I can only imagine how this will be implemented and enforced. I think it is a mistake to REQUIRE this. If someone wants an energy audit they should have the OPTION to hire someone to do this as an added service.

The end result is that the overall cost of a home inspection will be higher and the people that can least afford not to hsve the inspection because they are buying "Fixer-Uppers" will be less able to afford the higher cost of a home inspection and possibly choose not to have one.

Of course there will be the inspectors that don't understand that they have to charge more for the added liability, work effort, increased insurance rates, and additional education costs . They will include the "Energy Inspection" without raising their fees and basically take a cut in their income without even knowing it. I am almost ready to throw in the towel.

Originally posted by Steven Hockstein

Of course there will be the inspectors that don't understand that they have to charge more for the added liability, work effort, increased insurance rates, and additional education costs . They will include the "Energy Inspection" without raising their fees and basically take a cut in their income without even knowing it. I am almost ready to throw in the towel.

Oh yeah,

Absolutely, home inspectors are forced, by law, in Washington State to be licensed structural pest inspectors and must perform a pest inspection on every house they inspect. It's been that way since 1991. It was a move initiated by the pest guys. They claim that home inspectors who were mentioning rot and insects in their reports were either missing stuff or over-reporting non-issues, so they pushed this law through in order to protect consumers.

In private, one of the original authors, told me that they thought by doing this they'd eliminate home inspectors as their competition and then many of them got into the home inspection business, on top of their pest business.

Now the pest business is almost dead in the state and most inspectors include the pest inspection without charging anything extra for it - even the newbies who are low-balling everyone.

It's a sweet deal for those pest control operators who stayed in the business though and do home inspections, because they get to do the treatments. Talk about conflict of interest.

It's artificially depressing fees and saddles home inspectors with a whole other level of liability.

You guys are in for some of the same.

OT - OF!!!

M.