Got a little snow today.

I've had a "night job" plowing snow since 1999. I spent $750 getting the right brackets to attach the old plow to my new truck this fall and doing the instal myself. No snow yet in Indy.[:-thumbd]

Just curious, but how does the insurance work with that gig. Reason I ask: The nearby town of Forest Grove has no snow removal equipment. Every so often, we get hit with a storm that drops enough snow to make the roads unusable. Several locals have volunteered to use their personal equipment to clear the main roads, but the city fathers won't let them because no one is insured for this. The whole thing is at a stalemate, so when we get snow, the snow just sits there.

Typically by this point, we've had about 24" of snow. This year we've had less than 8". By this date last year, we'd had over 60". The meterologists are calling it June-uary.

But February can get pretty arctic, so there's plenty of time to catch up.

Speaking of winter weather, If you haven't seen the documentary "March of the Penguins," you should. We watched it with the kids this weekend and it's definitely worth Netflixing (if any else out there Netflixes anymore).

I've had a "night job" plowing snow since 1999. I spent $750 getting the right brackets to attach the old plow to my new truck this fall and doing the instal myself. No snow yet in Indy.[:-thumbd]

Just curious, but how does the insurance work with that gig. Reason I ask: The nearby town of Forest Grove has no snow removal equipment. Every so often, we get hit with a storm that drops enough snow to make the roads unusable. Several locals have volunteered to use their personal equipment to clear the main roads, but the city fathers won't let them because no one is insured for this. The whole thing is at a stalemate, so when we get snow, the snow just sits there.

Where I grew up in New York State our town had as many snow plows as all of King County Washington but the number of state plows that would come through were few and far between.

It's more of a hamlet than a town, really - current population less than a thousand; lots of farms, lots of pickup trucks, lots of personal snow plows.

Despite a preponderance of plows, sometimes we'd simply get hit with too much snow and the state plows couldn't come by often enough and the town plows couldn't keep up with what they had on the town's streets, let alone deal with the state highways or country roads. Consequently, neighbors would just get in their vehicles and do what they had to do to make things safe.

They'd go and plow each others' driveways, clear the plowrows from the ends of drives, clear parking lots of local businesses and on the way to and from these places, drop their plows on whatever street they were on, whether it was town, county or state pavement, and toss the white stuff out of the way.

Every morning during snow season, after they'd gotten up early to do their unofficial plowing, a bunch of folks with personal plows would show up at the local corner diner my little brother ran at the time and he'd pour free coffee for a few hours. It was a good time. Good simple people.

The town supervisor would show up for coffee too and say something like, "Hey Jer, now I know I didn't see your truck fly by my place this morning up on Depot Hill with the blade down, did I?" The place would get quiet for minute and then Jerry would answer, "Hell no, Don, that would be illegal." The supervisor would then say something like, "Good, then it's just these damned glasses of mine," and everyone would have a good laugh.

I remember one winter when we got a local paper mill to donate a few miles of box paper to cover the tennis courts so we could flood them for skating. We'd waited for a severe temperature drop. When it finally came, a couple of guys showed up with their personal plows and cleared the tennis court while a bunch of us rolled out that paper over the asphalt. Then they guys from the volunteer fire department brought a truck over and a couple of pumps, dropped some lines into a brook and workd all night in -25 degree weather to get that tennis court fully flooded and frozen.

The next day I'd gone home and crashed when they finished up. A bunch of those guys were in my brother's place having coffee with the fire truck parked outside when a fellow that had recently moved up there from NYC walked in and demanded to know who was responsible for wasting taxpayer resources by using the town's fire trucks for such a frivolity. My brother told me later that three or four guys stood up without saying a word to one another, scooped the guy up, carried him out through the door and very unceremoniously dumped him in a snow bank.

Thirty minutes later a state trooper showed up saying that he'd gotten a report of an assault by a bunch of local thugs on a citizen. The trooper was Bob Dunning, a local. Poor Bob couldn't find a single witness to the "assault." The NYC guy complained to the town supervisor and made some noise in the local paper the next week; but after that he couldn't walk down the street without being ballyhooed as a jackass. (Years later, that trooper, Bob Dunning, was killed by a gun blast fired through a screen door as he approached a house for a domestic disturbance call.)

Sure, they should have gone to the town and asked the town board to officially vote on allowing the use of the fire truck and that equipment, but those were simpler times; folks did what needed doing and most others wouldn't fault them for it and nobody was interested in suing anyone who's heart was in the right place and simply wanted to help people.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

"March of the Penguins" is certainly one of those things everyone should watch. I've seen it about 5 times; great with kids.

I'm in the process of figuring out the streaming Netflix thing......I used to get pumped up about figuring stuff like this out, not so much anymore.

I've seen it a couple of times too.

Imagine three months pressed up against a bunch of smelly neighbors constantly moving around while not eating a thing, all the time balancing an egg on top of your feet. Humans talk about perseverence and determination. We haven't got anything on those emporer penguins.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I had to shop insurance to find an agent that would take the liability on the plowing. I keep the plowing rider only during the winter months.

Knock on wood, in 12 years I've only hit;1) a concrete based light pole in my church parking lot(it was added 3 years after I started plowing there), no damage to the pole 2) a Goalrilla basketball goal, no damage to the pole 3) the occasional curb. I've never HIT any cars, that doesn't mean I haven't plied snow next to any [;)]

As far as public roads, I plow my street 4600-5000 block, my inlaws street 10200-10400 block and a small street behind me where I plow a few drives. I figure "what good is it to have a plowed drive if your street is all mucked up?"

It's funny that about two days after a big storm (4"+ here), private plow drivers hired by the city come down my street which I've already plowed two or three times by then....