Inflatable Plug in the Main Sewer Line

hausdok

New house. Built in 2008 but never sold. Originally over $4M now listed for $1.8M.

Found this in the main soil pipe. I've never seen one but I suspect it's used by plumbers to pressure-test systems for leaks. Don't know if it's inflated or not. Don't think it is. If it were, I should think at least one of the toilets would have backed up by now.

My guess is that there is a plumber somewhere who went to his truck one day and went, "Oh sh*t, where the hell is the...."

201213105311_145_0129_00031.jpg

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Test plug left over from the time of construction. I've got half a dozen of them somewhere around here.

Even deflated, I'm surprised that it hasn't caused serious problems with drainage in that system. It could be that the rubber bulb was damaged and someone sliced it off and used the remainder as a cap.

Test plug left over from the time of construction. I've got half a dozen of them somewhere around here.

Even deflated, I'm surprised that it hasn't caused serious problems with drainage in that system. It could be that the rubber bulb was damaged and someone sliced it off and used the remainder as a cap.

Maybe, but the cleanout cap was sitting on the vapor barrier nearby. Perhaps it hasn't caused an issue because nobody is living in the house yet.

Thanks.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Maybe, but the cleanout cap was sitting on the vapor barrier nearby. Perhaps it hasn't caused an issue because nobody is living in the house yet.

I'd have just unscrewed it for a looksee inside. . .

Jim, would you recommend locking out the toilets upstairs before taking a look? [:)]

Nope,

Wasn't gonna do that. I'd imagined myself loosening that cap and then it started spraying gunk out in all directions even before I'd gotten the cap off.

That mind's eye picture was all I needed to discourage me from doing that - especially in a bank-owned house where the water hadn't been turned on. There's no telling what would be in that pipe and how foul it was.

No thankye matey!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike