Anyone ever heard of this happening?

DonTx

I received this notice from another TAREI member. The notice came from the Pest Control board.

There is a pre-treat issue developing in the Bryan/College Station "Pebble Creek" subdivision.

A home was pre-treated with an organophosphate product. The homeowners kept smelling and tasting "chemical" in their water. Water tests revealed the presence of "pesticide solvents."

The home is plumbed with "Pex" pipe. Per the attorney representing the homeowners, the pipe has been tested and does not have any leaks. This might indicate that the solvent penetrated the pipe. More homes are being tested and as things develop I will keep you informed.

This should be interesting to watch unfold.

Originally posted by hausdok

. . . If insecticide could leach through it, why isn't it leaching out of the polyethylene plastic containers it's sold in?

. . .

I had the same thought. Has anyone every set one of those containers in a pail of drinking water to find out?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

All I know about the situation is what I posted above. I found it strange that the chemicals could get into a water system that did not have leaks. I've betting that there will be a leak found or dirt or other contaminates got into the water lines when they were plumbing the home.

Very few new homes are pre-treated here. Some of the cities are requiring it per the IRC, but many look the other way. Anyhow, I'll be waiting to see what becomes of this.

Donald

I think it's unlikely that the termicide is leaching through the PEX. Why? PEX is installed mainly in the walls and ceiling. Generally, the only line that's underground is a single supply from the meter. Pre-treats are done by flooding the slab footprint, and then doing a perimeter treat around the stem walls (foundation for you cold weather folks). The supply line trench is not treated, so where would the contamination come from?

Originally posted by rlskfoster

From what I've seen down here the PEX is installed under the slab just like the soft copper. I am assuming this was PEX. It is a red and blue plastic plumbing. But I agree that it would probably not be infiltrating the system.

Buster

Interesting. One of the big selling points, here, is the elimination of slab leaks when using PEX. That's why they really push it when pouring post-tension slabs.

Going with above answers (No Leaks & Check Water Supply) to this question, when the pesticide solvents was being applied, did it required to be mix with water. The mixing of the solvent could have been done Outside on a hose bibb that did not have a Antisiphon device connected to it, letting the solvent backflow into the water system or could have been mixed where there was not a Air Gap between the fluid level of the bucket and the faucet also causing a backflow situation.

Hi Monte,

Pre-treats are done before the slab is poured. PC companies here carry a tank in back of their trucks with the goods already premixed. They just pull up and apply it.

It's a strange thing here in Texas. In the Houston area, supply lines are not ran through the slab. In the San Antonio and maybe Austin and other areas, it's common.

Some times a Developer will designate construction water connections points, so that construction water can be metered and tracked. These points can be a fire hydrant with a Jones Value or a house with a hose bibb that has not been released to the new owner (One of the final punch list items to the home would be attaching the Antisiphon device to the hose bibb). The mixing truck could have required another round of pesticide solvents to be mixed, the driver pulls up the hose bibb or Jones Value, connects the hose and let's it hang in the tank while filling, shuts the value off when the tank is overflowing. The location of this Home might be the first service downstream of the fire hydrant that had a Jones Value connected to it and could have become contaminated when they flushed out the service line You know the rest of the story. Like you say supply lines are not run through the slab where the the Premix is placed and also reread Chris's remark.