Sign of the times?

Ben H

I like email inquires. I have a contact page on my site that asks for the property address to be inspected. Also, in my phone message I ask that the property address be included in the voice mail. With the address, I can usually look up most of what I need to know about the house before I respond. To streamline things, I suggest that you ask for the property address on web based contact forms and voice mail messages.

Ben, I like the looks of your website. Who put that together? What program or web design / template was used?

I like email inquires. I have a contact page on my site that asks for the property address to be inspected. Also, in my phone message I ask that the property address be included in the voice mail. With the address, I can usually look up most of what I need to know about the house before I respond. To streamline things, I suggest that you ask for the property address on web based contact forms and voice mail messages.

Ben, I like the looks of your website. Who put that together? What program or web design / template was used?

Thanks John, No template on that one. I actually built it myself (hand coded with the Adobe CS5 software package Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Fireworks, etc...)

I'm actually about to launch a newer updated version. I decided to ditch Flash b/c of Apple products, and their lack of support of it. I can do just about the same thing with jquery, and it displays on mobile devices just fine. Should be up in a week or so.

Have you ever got a job that after you did the inspection it was way easier than you though it would be? It's happened to me twice in 5 years and both times I reduced the fee on site.

Have you increased the fee when the job turned out to be way more difficult than you thought?

Spend more time on the report and improve it. Splurge your time on it. That'll get more client satisfaction than a reduced fee.

Just a suggestion.

Marc

Have you ever got a job that after you did the inspection it was way easier than you though it would be? It's happened to me twice in 5 years and both times I reduced the fee on site.

I have not, as I don't increase my fee when it is more difficult or time consuming then planned. Only time I reduce it on site is if I show up, and it is actually smaller in square footage then I was led to believe, dropping it to a lower spot in my fee schedule.

I have not, as I don't increase my fee when it is more difficult or time consuming then planned. Only time I reduce it on site is if I show up, and it is actually smaller in square footage then I was led to believe, dropping it to a lower spot in my fee schedule.

That is an exact example of my experiences.

I usually give them my price, and without any pause, offer all of my years of construction and inspecting experience (1972 - present), and tell them, "Be sure to ask everyone you call what they're experience and background is." Usually, after a momentary pause they say, "Well, when are you available?"

It's pretty funny that if someone is about to have heart surgery, they want the best doctor in town, but when they go to make the biggest single investment of their life, they want the cheapest home inspector and never even think to question an inspector's credibility or qualifications. BRILLIANT! [:-banghea