soldering issue

John Dirks Jr

For the true believers in lead hazard, supposedly you can absorb more through your skin in a shower than you will drinking the stuff.

Well I'm 57 and I melted several hundred lbs of babbit to make barbell weights in my late teens. Touched them plates thousands of times and I'm still here.

Is that what happened to my hair?

Marc

No, but it does lead to impotence.

My family and I probably get more lead in our systems by visiting the shooting range several times a year than we get from our house. I'm not concerned with it.

Not popular at the range? I'd consider a different hang out.

Moving to Shark Bites instead.

I wouldn't use shark bites in the wall...

One alternative is to sweat on a copper male adapter and then thread on a valve. It can be easier than sweating on a valve.

Another is to use compressed air to blow water out of the lines. Shut off water to the house. Close the water heater valves. Open all faucets and hose bibbs. Use a compressor and a blow gun to shoot bursts of air down each pipe where you want to sweat. You might push it out, you might get a geyser in your face, but you can get the water further away from your work, and then start over with the sweat.

A third is to use compression fittings on the existing pipe, connecting to a short nipple of new pipe + the new valve.

I wouldnt use a shark bite period,but thats just me. [:-yuck]

Moving to Shark Bites instead.

I wouldn't use shark bites in the wall...

One alternative is to sweat on a copper male adapter and then thread on a valve. It can be easier than sweating on a valve.

Another is to use compressed air to blow water out of the lines. Shut off water to the house. Close the water heater valves. Open all faucets and hose bibbs. Use a compressor and a blow gun to shoot bursts of air down each pipe where you want to sweat. You might push it out, you might get a geyser in your face, but you can get the water further away from your work, and then start over with the sweat.

A third is to use compression fittings on the existing pipe, connecting to a short nipple of new pipe + the new valve.

I wouldnt use a shark bite period,but thats just me. [:-yuck]

I take it that you've never tried a Shark Bite. This is the first time for me. I'm pretty strong and I tried with all my might to pull the pipe out of the fitting and it did not budge. Under pressure for a week now and not a drop of leaking.....period.

A nice thing about Shark Bite is you can transition from one material to another ( copper to CPVC ) and add a valve in the same shot. You can neck up or down too giving the effect of killing 3 birds with one stone.

If it ever leaks, I'll promptly report it in this thread. So, experiment is ongoing.

Why exactly would you not use a Shark Bite?