What Happened?

Liability Robert. They've got someone else (you) to pin it on if things go wrong with the repairs. If you're comfortable with that, have at it. I've done it where I'm comfortable with it but got paid for the letter.

Unless there's a good reason, I get paid for my services.

I had an inspection two years ago where the lender wanted me to "sign off" on some repairs. It was minor league stuff, so I didn't give it much thought and took the money. How does this dodge affect a loan? I don't understand the benefit to the lender. Does government backing come into play?

Robert Boyd

I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Another inspector from this area told me, he had been asked by a bank to do the same thing after his report made mention of buckled wall paneling. They wanted him to put something in writing about the structural integrity of the wall behind the paneling.

Maybe this is a good thing in the long run, but these guys need to understand our limits.

Maybe they're starting to understand the value of an inspection in relation to the investment they're making. Whether they sell the loan or not, it adds value. After all, they own the place until the last payment book is empty.

• 3 weeks later...

Crazy busy here right now, every inspector I know is booked solid.

If a client wants me to provide additional forms for their loan, I charge a 50.00 document prep fee. I don't "pass" stuff that hasn't been repaired correctly and I don't give warranties or predict life expectancy. I did an inspection a few months ago, client e-mailed me the HUD section 8 rental form about 6 weeks later, said he needed me to fill it out as soon as possible and e-mail it to his lender, I wrote back that a) it's going to cost you 50.00 and b) that can't be the right form. Never heard back from him, or his Realtor. Can't say I miss either of them.