lots of unsealed gaps on siding

xuehong

Hi,

It does have a barrier; it's just that it's clear plastic instead of the black type and it's been applied very poorly. If they close the vents without fixing the barrier, the amount of moisture escaping from that soil will become an issue. If they leave the vents open in North Carolina's very humid climate, the amount of humidity that will condense all over everything in that cool crawlspace in mid summer will make it look like it's raining in there. I'm surprised it looks as good as it does for a six year old house.

I'd still like wider shots of the crawl and the layout of that flooring system so I could understand why that beam runs parallel to those joists. The only thing I can think of is that it supports a wall somewhere above and that the joists are able to span that crawl without midspan support. If they span the entire crawl and are at their absolute span limit, or are overspanned, they might be stretched to their limit in which case walking across the floor will be sort of like walking across the head of a drum. I don't see any bridging either. That might be contributing to the vibration, though I've heard for years that research had discounted bridging as being unnecessary.

Xuehong,

Can you get some wider shots of the floor system that show the entire span of the floor? That vapor barrier needs to cover 100% of the soil floor of that crawl. In your climate, it works best if that barrier practically covers the entire interior face of the foundation, the vents are closed and the crawlspace is conditioned. There's a contractor out your way by the name of Jeff Tooley who has written numerous articles on the subject for Fine Homebuilding and the Journal of Light Construction and makes his living fixing crawlspace moisture issues. I'm sure if you google him you can learn much more about how sealing a crawlspace in the humid southeast is better than venting one. Also, visit Advanced Energy Corporation's crawlspace knowledge page; they've done extensive research in your region on crawlspace ventilation issues.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I see some issues with the vapor barrier and the crawlspace vents, but the structure isn't showing me anything that makes me think you've got a major problem.

My guess is what Jim said; you may be used to concrete construction. Wood frame construction feels very different.

Are you from china? I know everything in china is concrete, wood construction is relatively rare.

Someone tell her about vapor barriers and crawlspace venting.

Yes, I am from China. You are right. Everything in China is either concrete or brick construction. My house in China is all brick. However, I have already come here about five years. In the past five years, I lived in a townhouse which is wood structured and should be at least more than 30 years old. Now, I feel really bouncy in this house. Sometimes i can even see food in the dishes is dancing when we walk to the dining table. And dishes on the top of kitchen cabinet will make noises too. I never see this before. So I guess my floor may need more support? I have no idea.

Thanks all.

I cann't believe that I entered into the crawlspace by myself. I am really scared about any kind of bugs, snakes and so on. I worn really thick clothes, hat and shoes to protect myself. I can feel my hand is shaking. Yeh, anyway, I did it.

Please see the PDF for details.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Breakfast room and kitchen.pdf

600.72?KB

Xuehong,

Seriously, I'm not seeing much there to be concerned about. As myself and a couple of folks have stated above, a tight vapor barrier is needed, but let's be realistic that place is already, what, six years old? If things look that good after six years down there, despite being open to the weather with your very humid climate, I wouldn't be complaining.

I'm jealous as hell,

I don't want to hear any moaning from you North Calinky boys about how awful your crawlspaces are. That one's like a Rolls Royce compared to some of the nasy beat up Yugo's I have to crawl around in.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Agreed. I'm just not seeing anything that looks bad. It's tree farm joists, maximum spans, and it's bouncy. Personally, I'd stick some kickers in the crawl to stiffen up the floor, and forget about it. Same with the vapor barrier; if it's 6 years and it still looks new, I'd have a hard time arguing anything bad is going to happen.

Xuehong..... Even your 30 year old town home probably had better lumber in it than this house. .American modern wood frame isn't necessarily cheap or poor quality, but it is nothing like China. All of our lumber is tree farm stuff, and it's not particularly stiff.

I spent a fair amount of time touring China last year and visited a lot of construction sites. There are a few problems I could see with Chinese methods, but solidity isn't one of them. I was in Binhai New Area in Tianjin watching them place tens of thousands of cubic yards of concrete each day. The Chinese have the concrete component figured out.

Now, if we could get all our posters to provide documentation as good as this, it would make the job easy.

Those are good pictures. Thanks for posting them. They help.

From what I can see the framing is fine and there's no danger of anything collapsing or falling down.

If you find the movement of the floor to be unacceptable, hire a carpenter to install some mid-span support under the kitchen area. It's not a difficult thing to do and it would eliminate the food dancing in the plates.

And congratulations on overcoming your fear to go into that crawlspace to take the pictures. It was a brave thing to do.

Those are good pictures. Thanks for posting them. They help.

From what I can see the framing is fine and there's no danger of anything collapsing or falling down.

If you find the movement of the floor to be unacceptable, hire a carpenter to install some mid-span support under the kitchen area. It's not a difficult thing to do and it would eliminate the food dancing in the plates.

And congratulations on overcoming your fear to go into that crawlspace to take the pictures. It was a brave thing to do.

Thanks. I may need to install some mid-span support since it bothers me.

This morning, as I was trying to water my vegetables and flowers in my backyard, a really long black snake was moving just two to three feet away from me. I was so scared. I will never enter my crawlspace again. Now, I am even scared about stepping into my backyard.

. . . This morning, as I was trying to water my vegetables and flowers in my backyard, a really long black snake was moving just two to three feet away from me. I was so scared. I will never enter my crawlspace again. Now, I am even scared about stepping into my backyard. . .

Later that morning, the snake went home and told his family, "I was out in the garden just now and a giant human was out there only two or three feet away from me. It was so scary. I'm never going back there again."