Thoughts on Updating Ceiling Radiant Heat

imautoparts

If you have the right set up like a closet between two or more room you can get a min-split that allows ductwork to be added to it

I installed 4 on one exterior unit for a girls house on the university. 2 upstairs and two downstairs in the sleeping areas. I took out fan coil units and used the same ductwork.

Mini-split. Reasonable price, easy.

Americans don't like the thing on the wall, but it's the future of HVAC in every other part of the world.

I agree, and the price is driving downward almost monthly. This house has a site-built custom attic AC unit that is original to the house - when it goes I'm going to go with multi-zone (mini split) "thing on the wall" units.

Americans don't like anything that is "foreign". That is what makes being a little more open minded fun.

I've done a ton of research, and found great resources. My main problem was that none of the local contractors will work on these systems as they are considered "obsolete".

I took it on myself to poll two or three of the homeowners in the all eletric homes my Dad built - with the exception of one leaky roof they all said their original Swan systems (240V single-wire, SPST thermostats in every room) were working fine.

I heat and cool 2100 square feet with 3.5 baths and two waterheaters, and my electric bill is $215 per month (year round average). I live 130 miles East of Chicago in NE Indiana.

I'm waiting now for a cable tracker ($39). I've already located the correct butt connecters and replacement heating cable - nowadays called MI cable; and it won't be sensitive to cracking like the old stuff is when it loses the heat sink of the plaster coating.

I'll update the post periodically until the fix is complete. That's when I'll get all you guys addresses to send out the Cigars!! [:-party]